How do I cover a hole on a wallpapered wall?

+20
The kids put a hole in the wall that has 80s wallpaper on it so finding matching paper is not possible. Some of it I can pull out to recover most of the hole but the edging is bad. The whole LARGE room has this wallpaper so painting the entire room would be too expensive. Any suggestions?
q how do i cover a hole on a wallpapered wall
  • Jigger9901 Jigger9901 on Feb 03, 2017
    Hi Bleuizes,
    Is there a corner or hidden part of the room i.e. very low down or behind furniture that you would seldom move? From this particularly hidden area, I would carefully remove as much paper as would cover the damaged area. Carefully remove the desired piece of paper using steam/warm damp sponge, with the aid of a scraper or Stanley knife. After having repaired the hole in the wall, tear the shape you need from the 'spare' paper, carefully matching up the pattern - this torn paper would have to be larger than the repaired area in your wall. (Torn match-ups are far less noticeable than straight cut edges.) The stripped hidden bit of wall can be painted/sponge painted/whatever similar colour/s to your paper. You could even try your hand at tracing your paper pattern onto a bit of lining paper, paint it and paste to the wall.

• Bleuizes Bleuizes on Feb 03, 2017
    Thank you so much for the reply! Il definitely give that a try :)

• Gail Gail on Feb 03, 2017
    hang a picture of the kids that made the hole over it!

• William William on Feb 03, 2017
    I agree with Jigger9901! What I have done. After the hole is patched, take a larger piece of wallpaper (from a hidden area) than the patch. Tape it over the patch with blue painters tape lining up the pattern. Then cut a circle into the wallpaper patch and wall wallpaper with a razor blade. Remove the wallpaper patch, peel away the circle wallpaper off the wall. Apply glue to the wall, place the wallpaper patch on the wall and smooth out. I would use watered down white glue to glue the patch.

• Bleuizes Bleuizes on Feb 03, 2017
    Hahaha ... if it only wouldn't look so out of place 😄 this is a rental so I need to fix it the best I can.

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 03, 2017
    I agree, somewhat with the above. The only thing I would change is when you cut the extra paper, (look inside of a wall vent to see if there is any paper tucked in there, if you have one) be sure that you have enough to match the pattern. I would cut straight lines. Put your patch, (use tape on a little portion just to hold it on the wall)which is at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch larger than you need, over the area to be covered. Then, cut to leave a large margin around the area to be patched. Cut deep enough to either cut or score the old paper. When you pull the patch off, take the old paper off. Mind how you remove the new stuff, you will have to put it on the same way. It doesn't have to be straight or anything, just going on the way it was cut. Then, using white glue, replace the new piece over the repair and tap the edges down several times a day to be sure they stay flat. You cut the wall board in the same manner. As long as you replace the patch the same way you cut it out, there shouldn't be a problem. Also, if you stuff newspaper behind the wallboard patch, it will help keep it steady until the spackling dries. Let it dry before trying to do the wallpaper or it will fall in. Be gentle in all you do.

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 04, 2017
      Re reading this confused me a bit, and I wrote it! When you tape the new patch over the hole, cut through the new and old patch. This way, the new patch will fit perfectly into the area you want patched. Same thing with the wallboard. Does that clear it up?

• Irene Gronewald Irene Gronewald on Feb 03, 2017
    check out where to remove some of existing wall paper that is un seen closet...etc.. remove area that is full of debries take reynolds wrap fill hole...flatten spacle area at at time til sets up"...smooth it out if yo have exacto knife 1.29 walmart ..cut out ant ragged edges wallpaper...then replace wall paper to area.... if you can color copy paper on your computer for more if you only have a small bit of it then just white glue ..little water mix ...viola!!!

• Claude Claude on Feb 04, 2017
    I would cut out a square with a razor knife and carefully, gently remove the piece of paper by first pulling off the pieces that you can, then dampen the other pieces w a vinegar water soaked rag and wait untI'll it loosened and you can ease it off w a plastic plaster knife. Dry the outside edge. Fix the wall using the patch that is pink until it dries. When your paper dries, try to put the pieces together. You may be able to reapply with. Wall paper repair Glue. I would try that first. Then do the color copier as a second attack. I only say that because wallpaper and backing is different than copier paper. If you could find a piece of the paper itself, that would be ideal because you won't even see it as long as it's a perfect match.
    the actual damaged piece is discolored just like the rest of the room and will be less visible. I cut out a square of damaged wallpaper with a petiprint and you had to run your hand over it to see where the damaged area was. You can do this.

• Irene Gronewald Irene Gronewald on Feb 04, 2017
    i don`t even know where that came from as i have no colr copier...but was brainstorming...for you...good luck..sweetie

• Irene Gronewald Irene Gronewald on Feb 05, 2017
    i shocked ..myself...even , must be that i have been thinking too hard because of hometalk...:)

• Liz Straughn Liz Straughn on Feb 05, 2017
    My mother-in-law had frequent holes with her 5 boys! She just hung a picture or something over it.

• Kcama Kcama on Feb 06, 2017
    It might be hard to match by printing on any paper that will go through a printer, unless you find one that's exactly the right texture. (they do have lots of 12x12 textured paper at craft stores). You might try to find a sample of a beige that's the right texture and close in color at your local wallpaper store - they usually have old sample books) and either Modge Podge a print of the thinnest paper you can find or experiment with drawing and sponging the color on yourself.

• Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Feb 06, 2017
    The thickness of the actual paper does not matter much. If you can either scan the wallpaper and then print or copy the pattern with a color copier, once it is printed out you can thicken it up with additional paper or using a layer of glue( allow it to dry) or the like.

• Coleen Masterson Coleen Masterson on Feb 08, 2017
    I am a wallpaper hanger and an artist and I would suggest trying to remove the paper from the pieces that are caved into the wall, clean that out , take the wallpaper of those broken pieces off by wetting or soaking them until they are loose. Save those pieces of wallpaper and repair the wall. Then prime the wall with a paint color that closely matches the paper or white, place pieces back onto the wall like a puzzle with some glue or wallpaper paste if you have it, When it is dry go back with some acrylic paint that you buy at walmart that matches the colors and try to blend in the pieces. It should look fine after it is all put back together and that saves you from trying to remove paper from some other area in the room. Unless you have extra paper laying around...

• Lindcurt Lindcurt on Feb 11, 2017
    Why not tell the landlord. Maybe he/she would purchase the paint to redo the whole room if you are willing and able to do the application. If that doesm't work use Coleen Masterson's suggestion.

• Maryann Stokes Maryann Stokes on Feb 12, 2017
    Picture? Depends on how high the hole is from the floor.

• Ginny Ginny on Feb 14, 2017
    1. Get new wallpaper.
    2. Trade in your kids.
    3. Hang a picture over it.

• Bleuizes Bleuizes on Feb 15, 2017
      Best idea yet. But probably the most expensive considering the cost of paying someone off to take my kids lol