Tips: Saving Money in Home and Garden

+4
Ways to save money for home and garden
At one time in my life I have had money, but I was raised poor so that really helped when my life turned upside down and I lost everything.
I am an apartment dweller so I don't have a garden....I would love one but I simply have never been able to keep birds. fish or plants alive. I'm even amazed all 4 of my children survived. That being said, here goes:
1. 1.I make my own laundry softener sheets
2. I do not use napkins, paper towels or tissue paper. I have collected some vintage hankies that I use (and some I don’t) Cloth napkins can be thrown in the washer and dryer as well as the torn up cloths I use in place of paper towels. Doing this I can make a roll of paper towels last 6 months.
3. Baking soda, Dawn, white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, borax and alcohol are my basic cleaning supplies.
4. I make my own Swiffer cloths, and sometimes spray those with a vinegar spray if I don’t feel like steam mopping.
5. I make a lot of my meals from scratch and rarely buy premixed items. I can make my own Bisquick, but I do enjoy having Bisquick and Krusteaz on hand.
6. I buy my baking items in bulk from Winco---their powdered Dutch baking powder is heavenly in my mocha mix, hot chocolate and frosting.
7. Thrift stores, thrift stores and thrift stores! I sometimes buy a garment just for its trim or buttons or other embellishments…and the yardage can be used for things around the house (napkins and hankies anyone?)
8. Yard sales and estate sales are great but I don’t spend much time in them due to a panic disorder so I always feel crowded whereas I feel like I can take more time in a thrift store. I don’t avoid them altogether though because of some of the amazing things you can find
9. I wash my aluminum foil if it is still in good condition and I wash food storage bags. I am fastidious with these and clean both inside and out with Dawn and bleach
10. After holiday sales, you can get stuff up to 95% off if you are willing to brave the crowd and take your time
11. I have also retrieved some amazing things by dumpster diving. One time I scored a dozen pair of name-brand shoes, little or no wear and just happened to be in mine and my fiends’ sizes.
a. 2 wicker laundry baskets—both brand new
b. Wooden tv tray (required scrubbing and bleaching)
c. Shower chair (required scrubbing and bleaching)
d. Assorted baskets
e. Misc. wine bottles (great for projects)
f. An almost new sofa (ok, it was on its way to the dumpster so I saved it)
g. Candles & candle holders
h. Odds and ends stemware

12. Barter! A neighbor in my apartment building brought me well over $100 in ribbons and laces and in return, she got the best of my 4th of July wreaths. She brings me buttons and dryer sheets (for wreaths)
13. Join a Freecycle group in your neighbourhood
14. Check out Listia and please use my code so I can get credit. It is an auction site where you may only have to pay for some shipping and handling. I have gotten beautiful buttons, TONS of laces, fat quarters and so much more.
Here is my link for Listia: CSGFLV

Think outside the box, check my Pinterest page for recycle and upcycle ideas and my Save $ board. You will also find just about every cleaning concoction known to human kind on my Concoction boards. Before you toss something try to see if it can serve another purpose.
If anyone is interested in how I can make a 32oz bottle of Dawn last for 6 months, let me know

Go forth and start saving
  • William William on Feb 03, 2017
    Lots of great tips. Many of use some variations. I also go to thrift stores, garage sales, and estate sales. I go dumpster diving. I find a lot of stuff I sell on Ebay. I also have nine buyers nationwide that buy stuff at garage sales and thrift stores for me to sell on Ebay. Also make my own cleaning supplies. Recycle pallets and old furniture for the wood. Also a member of several sites that provide free stuff to try and get to keep just to review them.
  • Canadianlady Canadianlady on Feb 04, 2017
    Like you, I also harvest the buttons, lace, and trims off of old clothes to use in my crafting projects. Thanks for the good ideas.
  • Irish Pack Irish Pack on Feb 04, 2017
    When my finances were more liquid, I would also go to yard sales and thrift stores, then hold my own yard sale of the items at a marked up price....looong time ago
  • Irish Pack Irish Pack on Feb 04, 2017
    you're welcome!
  • Banjojane66 Banjojane66 on Feb 04, 2017
    Wow! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who likes to dumpster dive. I found a lot of things the stores throw away. I have asked them, before removing it.
    Love the flea markets, yard sales, etc. and have thought about selling on eBay. I have a passionate craving for buying handbags. Every color available!
    I will look into the ideas you have for cleaning and yes, I save plastic bags for other uses.
    Thank you for sharing each idea.
    I have unused fabric and projects for them, ....in the making.
     My philosophy is......if you can build something with it....don't throw it away.
  • Liz Liz on Feb 12, 2017
    There are many ways to save on groceries & eat healthy, too. For example, with one can of tuna, or small can salmon, drain, flake, put in 1 egg, 1 grated carrot, 1 large grated potato, cracker crumbs or bread crumbs, some inexpensive onion powder, garlic powder, 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper. Mix well, bake in loaf pan at 350 degrees for 45 min., or shape into small patties & fry in a very small amount of oil on both sides until lightly brown & cooked through. Make "Freezer Soup" by using a plastic freezer safe container with a lid. Keep in freezer & add every tiny bit of leftovers after every meal. When the container is almost to the top, thaw in refrigerator (not on the counter). Put in soup pot, add a can of tomatoes, and enough water to your taste. Flavor with onion powder. Add 1/3 cup brown rice for healthy, filling carbs. Maybe add a diced potato, & some chopped cabbage. I add a can of rinsed black beans for healthy fiber. Simmer covered until it makes "Soup". Stir occasionally. You can save a ton of money on groceries. Chips, cookies, snacks, soft drinks, pre-packaged foods, mixes, etc. are usually unhealthy and high in sugar and sodium.
  • Irish Pack Irish Pack on Feb 12, 2017
    Awesome tip! I forgot to post how I save money on groceries. When I was growing up, a local restaurant had "Garbage Soup" every Friday. My friend and I would go and have that with a salad. When my children were growing up, we would have Garbage Soup! I would also stretch our budget by serving soup and bread first, then salad before our main course. This helped to fill everyone up and helped to stretch the meat budget.