Tip: easy way to save money when you DIY!

+5
I found a habitat for humanity store, they got left over or useable building supplies and you can save a lot of money.Keep in mind it's a hit or miss store but it's worth the trip.Example: I got decorative chair rail moulding ,8-8 foot pieces for $17.50. Real wood top quality,it would have been close to $200. Or more at a store.Good luck and happy DIY!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 05, 2017
    Wow! A chair for 17.50! Thats fabulous! Almost all of my furniture is second hand, and beautiful at that!
    • Grandmasue10 Grandmasue10 on Feb 15, 2017
      Nope, you skipped a few words; she got chair rail moulding. 8 8 foot wide decorative wood that one puts around a DR usually. It's about 36" or more inches high.
  • Madilyn Madilyn on Feb 05, 2017
    Our Habitat for Humanity also carries brand new (still in the package) items like light fixtures, ceiling fans, switch plates, outlet covers, drawer pulls, door locks and knobs etc. Keep in mind these new items are not top of the line. I believe these new items are overstock from the construction of the Habitat for Humanity homes built by volunteers to give to deserving families. They also carry new paint in limited, but pleasing colors, paint brushes and painting supplies. Again the quality is mid-grade. I believe their paint line is Pittsburgh which is a name brand. So if you want mid-grade items at a very deep discount, this is the place to go. I actually redid my entire kitchen, cabinets, counters and all plus paint and fixtures for about $700 with items purchased only at a Habitat store. This did not include flooring but it did include floor molding and a new pantry door/lock. Also, while they did carry appliances mine were still in good shape so I had no need to purchase those. Plus it is great fun to just roam around see all the great stuff even if you never purchase anything.
  • Lisa Lisa on Feb 07, 2017
    Love my local Habitat! We also have a local coupon book with $5 off $20 as well.
  • Irish Pack Irish Pack on Feb 08, 2017
    I would never have thought of that. I will have to search and see if there is one in our area...thanks for the info!
  • Yes, very much hit and miss but great stuff. By the time I get there the great stuff is always gone, but I still go on occasion.