DIY Plant Doormat

I’m adding fuel to my plant obsession one project at a time! I saw a picture of a super cute succulent doormat on Instagram a few weeks ago and instantly wanted one for myself! That blogger bought hers at a local nursery, so logically I consulted Amazon and google to find something similar. Since I couldn’t find what I was looking for, I decided to just make my own DIY plant doormat.
Our doormat situation right now is a little ridiculous. We have two plain, ugly ones. One of them was left here by the previous owners in front of the door. And the other I think we brought with us but was left down at the bottom of the stairs in front of our front door. I’m blaming that on one of the guys. In the two years we’ve lived here I haven’t bothered to move or replace them.
Needless to say, it’s about time for a change!
I wasn’t really sure how this would turn out when I started, but I love it! And it was super easy!
SUPPLIES FOR DIY PLANT DOORMAT:
Door mat
Sharpie
Acrylic paint – I used black, white, and a couple different shades of green
Artist’s brush
FIND INSPIRATION FOR YOUR PLANTS AND PRINT THEM.
I’m going to throw it out there right now that I am far from an artist. I’m not very good at free handing and prefer to have a guide to go off of. So I found some images on Pinterest that I really liked, then printed and cut them out to use as a guide. Then I took a black sharpie and outlined the plants.
The ones I printed were much too small for my doormat, so I just eye balled it and traced it a little ways away from the photo.
START PAINTING WITH YOUR ACRYLIC PAINT.
From there I just decided to wing it and got started with my acrylic paint. I painted the plants first and the pots last. The cactus was the easiest since I just used one color. I added black and white to my greens to make them darker and lighter for contrast (like when I outlined the plant on the left).
The biggest piece of advice I have for painting this type of rug is to really fill up your brush with paint then blot it on. It does soak up quite a bit of paint, so just add more paint until it shows up how you want.
And that’s it! I think it would also be fun to paint some designs on the pots, so I might go back and add some tribal patterns. A fun saying on top would also be cute!
So there you have it. A fun and easy DIY plant doormat. I love these types of projects because they don’t have to be perfect. My spacing is a little off and you might not actually be able identify the plants on the sides (the left one is aloe), but that’s ok!

Kala Wiederholt