Color Block Kitchen Table

12 materials
2 Weeks
In a world of white cookie cutter tables, this is how one bored girl turned a plain, butcher block style table into a fun, warm, gathering place!
color block kitchen table, kitchen design, painted furniture, Stripped and sanded table top
Stripped and sanded table top
First, find a butcher block table!!!
I stripped the top using CitriStrip and then cleaned it with a mixture of warm water and TSP
Using painter's tape, I taped out some of the individual pieces of wood. This method forces you to be random, which is what I wanted!
Pro Tip: make sure your lines are straight, and you seal with a penny or fingernail!!
color block kitchen table, kitchen design, painted furniture, First round of tape
First round of tape!!
Tiiiiime to stain!
I gathered the colors I was going to use....
.... I applied the SPiT directly to the taped area on the table and spread it out evenly using a foam brush
color block kitchen table, kitchen design, painted furniture, First round down
First round down!
I continued along using the different colors and making sure not to repeat colors around each other.
Once dried, I removed the tape.... aaaand retaped to the pieces I was ready paint next!
I taped off again and did another round of Unicorn SPiT. For some added pop, I applied 3 layers of Modern Masters in Olympic Gold in a few random places.
I painted a few of the spaces with 3 layers of Modern Masters in Olympic Gold and then moved onto my Minwax wood stains. I used what I already had on hand...
Pecan Gloss
Bombay Mohogany Gloss
Aged Oak
Dark Walnut
Tung Oil Finish
color block kitchen table, kitchen design, painted furniture, Finished with wood stain
Finished with wood stain!
Once everything had dried for a few hours, I went over it with 220 grit sand paper to soften the edges where some of the stain ran through the tape. Afterwards, I applied a layer of Tung Oil Finish to the entire table and let it dry overnight.
The next morning, I took my electric finishing sander and some 400 grit sand paper and sanded down the top until I got the amount of distressing I wanted.
Time for Poly!! I used a satin Polyurethane. I did 6 layers with a wet sand in between.
color block kitchen table, kitchen design, painted furniture, Distressed with first layer of polyurethane
Distressed with first layer of polyurethane
I chalk painted the table base and chairs in between polyurethane layers. I watered down some Midnight Blackness and glazed them. Sealed everything with more polyurethane.
Finished table set!!
Soooo cheery and bright!

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

2 of 42 comments
Next