E4lizerd
E4lizerd
  • Sacramento, CA

Easiest and Cheapest Shabby "Headboard" Ever!

Here is what I did to create a "headboard" for our room. we are on a tight budget, and trying to go to a "shabby" look..My inspiration was a display at an antique store. I bought several pictures at a garage sale for next to nothing. I think the largest one was $5! I removed the glass and pictures, and "painted" all the frames with Gesso. (cheap!) It leaves a distressed look without any extra effort on my part!
The hanger was from Ikea, a Diginet Stainless Steel Curtain wire that cost $12.99. We also purchased the hooks at Ikea. We are most pleased with the results!
easiest and cheapest shabby headboard ever, bedroom ideas, home decor, repurposing upcycling

• Bob6925855

How did you keep the rings from sliding on the wire?

• E4lizerd

They did slide, but I had a lot of tension on the wire so not unless I wanted them to.

• Marnidarr

So cute! I like the shabby look a lot, but I gotta ask, did you think the obvious, and try it with pictures in the frames? I was thinking maybe you could suspend them in the centers of the frames with fishing line and they'd appear to float. That way they can stay hanging just as they are with the hooks thru the frames. I really like this though and it's going on the 'head board consideration' list for my own bed! Thanks!
    • E4lizerd

I actually never did think of that because I didn't think that a bunch of different pictures would look good and I had a very colorful duvet. I think that would be a great idea though you should try it!

• Magi

Did you cut the frames at a cerysin part or did you just glued them l8ke thst?

• Elizabeth

No cutting at all. Just bought pleasing frames at the thrift store and painted them. Used the existing hangers to hang them.

thanks for asking!

• Joanie

I was thinkin' of your bedspread, blanket or quilt and the colors.......maybe adding a color to match in each frame, in a design of your own choice, would add some color, since you have a white background.....colors to co ordinate with your top cover on your bed. BLING! Maybe painting each frame to match???? Painting your bed to match the frames?