Dollar Store Glass Beads Become a Beautiful Backsplash

$5

Did you know you could create a beautiful back splash with glass beads from the Dollar Store? I created a beautiful back splash in our master bathroom as part of my $100 Master Bathroom Makeover Challenge.. I was at the end of my project, I had already updated the oak cabinetry by painting them white. Now teally needed something that would pop in my small bathroom and pull it all together.
dollar store glass beads become a beautiful backsplash, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design
Digging through my stash of stuff in the garage I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I grabbed my dollar store glass beads and separated them by size.
I played with the pattern until I find one I liked like and that fit nicely into the space. I counted how many big and small were in that section and then calculated how many I needed of each size glass bead.
I started to use looking glass paint but that didn't give me enough punch so I decided to go for something more bold. I painted the backs of the glass beads in a color I loved. I used (aff) this one in Cobalt Blue Metallic.
After they dried I used a high heat glue gun because I wanted the extra time to adjust them if necessary. For the full tutorial and to see the finished project click over to my website at http://www.smallhomesoul.com/dollar-store-glass-backsplash-tutorial/

• Glass beads  (Dollar Store)
  • Spray Paint  (Hardware Store)
  • Glue Gun  (Craft Store)
Toni @ Small Home Soul

• Missie Slone

Can u do one n the kitchen

• Jackie Begay

how does it hold up to heat?

• Toni @ Small Home Soul

Hi Jackie, I'm only using this in my bathroom and not near water or heat. If you were to use it near heat you'd need to investigate the glass wafers/beads to see how much heat they can withstand. If they would be fine around heat then as long as you install them with supplies normally used in a kitchen back splash (like behind a stove) then it should be fine. I'm just not sure that glass from the dollar store would be rated to withstand any kind of excess heat as in near a stove or fireplace.

• Kathy

What type of paint did you use on the backs of the glass beads? Also, what was the adhesive you used on the wall to secure them? The blue is just gorgeous!! Great job!

• Sally Alter

I completed this project a couple of months ago and it looks just great. The only problem I ran into was I put the Mastic on too thick and it squeezed out between the gems making it difficult to remove. Mineral Spritits took most of it off and I scraped off the rest. I used all the colors randomly and people love it. My nephew commented on the 'pattern' and said he was trying to figure it out, but I told him it was random and he was amazed. It is a cheap, easy project and impossible to mess up.

• Sally Alter
    30 minutes ago

I have never uploaded a picture before, so sorry it's not up the right way.