Dollar Store Glass Beads Become a Beautiful Backsplash

$5

Did you know you could create a beautiful back splash with glass beads from the Dollar Store? I created a beautiful back splash in our master bathroom as part of my $100 Master Bathroom Makeover Challenge.. I was at the end of my project, I had already updated the oak cabinetry by painting them white. Now it really needed something that would pop in my small bathroom and pull it all together.

Digging through my stash of stuff in the garage I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I grabbed my dollar store glass beads and separated them by size.

I played with the pattern until I find one I liked like and that fit nicely into the space. I counted how many big and small were in that section and then calculated how many I needed of each size glass bead.

I started to use looking glass paint but that didn't give me enough punch so I decided to go for something more bold. I painted the backs of the glass beads in a color I loved. I used (aff) this one in Cobalt Blue Metallic.

After they dried I used a high heat glue gun because I wanted the extra time to adjust them if necessary. For the full tutorial and to see the finished project click over to my website at https://www.girljustdiy.com/dollar-store-glass-backsplash-tutorial/

• Glass beads  (Dollar Store)
  • Spray Paint  (Hardware Store)
  • Glue Gun  (Craft Store)

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

• Lyn
    Lyn

I've thought about doing this on my countertops, but I'm not sure about what to do around the sink. Maybe frame it in something else? Possibly cover in plexiglass? I'm afraid of doing that because of heat & scratching. Any suggestions? Must be kid friendly.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!
      Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

You might be able to use this on your back splash if you use the proper adhesive and then grout them properly. I would not recommend the for a countertop because these beads are not shatter proof. There is generally at least 1 or 2 glass beads in every bag that are broken. That would be very sad to have them chip and break and cause a safety hazard.

• Enza
    Enza

Is the glue waterproof and what is the glue you used? In a bathroom we would be encountering moisture and I'm afraid they would just slide off the wall. Thanks.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!
      Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

Since this is not near the sink I just used Hot Glue to attach them to the back of the TP cabinet. If you're installing them near water then you'd want to use the right mastic for setting tile, and of course grouting them afterward.

• JD
    JD

Are these “beads” really glass or are they resin? Was thinking of putting them around my cooktop but unsure of the way they might interact with heat. I think they look beautiful, by the way.

• Grandmaquilts
      Grandmaquilts

The ones at Dollar Tree are real glass and are found in their Floral area

• Nefertiti
    Nefertiti

Very nice, I will do my back splash, but not beads. Will keep looking till something moves me.

• Kaz
    Kaz

So pretty..