Dollar Store Glass Beads Become a Beautiful Backsplash

$5

Did you know you could create a beautiful back splash with glass beads from the Dollar Store? I created a beautiful back splash in our master bathroom as part of my $100 Master Bathroom Makeover Challenge.. I was at the end of my project, I had already updated the oak cabinetry by painting them white. Now it really needed something that would pop in my small bathroom and pull it all together.

Digging through my stash of stuff in the garage I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I grabbed my dollar store glass beads and separated them by size.

I played with the pattern until I find one I liked like and that fit nicely into the space. I counted how many big and small were in that section and then calculated how many I needed of each size glass bead.

I started to use looking glass paint but that didn't give me enough punch so I decided to go for something more bold. I painted the backs of the glass beads in a color I loved. I used (aff) this one in Cobalt Blue Metallic.

After they dried I used a high heat glue gun because I wanted the extra time to adjust them if necessary. For the full tutorial and to see the finished project click over to my website at https://www.girljustdiy.com/dollar-store-glass-backsplash-tutorial/

• Glass beads  (Dollar Store)
  • Spray Paint  (Hardware Store)
  • Glue Gun  (Craft Store)
Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

• Kathy

What type of paint did you use on the backs of the glass beads? Also, what was the adhesive you used on the wall to secure them? The blue is just gorgeous!! Great job!

• Chastity

I am thinking that i might try this,.

measure out back splash including plug ins, light switches, and trim. find plywood thin enough even sub flooring paint it and do the DS glass. this way Im not really tearing up my little back splashes removes easily with a few screws. What do you all think

• Felitia

Can I use this backsplash behind the stove and the sink? Is it waterproof?

• Lyn

I've thought about doing this on my countertops, but I'm not sure about what to do around the sink. Maybe frame it in something else? Possibly cover in plexiglass? I'm afraid of doing that because of heat & scratching. Any suggestions? Must be kid friendly.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

You might be able to use this on your back splash if you use the proper adhesive and then grout them properly. I would not recommend the for a countertop because these beads are not shatter proof. There is generally at least 1 or 2 glass beads in every bag that are broken. That would be very sad to have them chip and break and cause a safety hazard.

• Nefertiti

Very nice, I will do my back splash, but not beads. Will keep looking till something moves me.

• Kaz

So pretty..