Tip: Adjusting the Heat Vents to Maximize Furnace Power..

+1
The farther a room is from furnace, the less heat coming from the vent. Closer more heat. Size of room matters also. Ajust the opening of your vent to match heat needs. Inportant to make sure heat runs from furnace to rooms are well sealed with no gaps or holes insolating runs will help prevent heat in runs from cooling . Shut down un used vents to force more heat into used rooms. These are the least work and money ways I know of..
  • DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 08, 2017
    My problem is that we have an open floor plan. The only rooms with doors are the bedrooms and bath. This is by choice as we do not like little boxes inside of a big box. We also have floor to ceiling windows in all rooms. We live on a bluff looking out over the valley, views are outstanding and the peace and quiet are so relaxing. So, the price we pay is higher heat bills but we have been able to do some things to keep bills as low as can be. Number one is passive solar which uses the windows and quarry tile floors to heat the house on sunny days. The heat almost never comes on unless extreme cold. The disadvantage is cloudy days. So we installed double cell blinds to insulate and double pain glass. Then we set the hat at 72 or 73 and use small heaters in the rooms we are in. They get turned off when we leave the room. Then we wear thermal under wear on the coldest days and when it is really cold like 0", then we add a layer. I am 76 and this keeps me warm even when I am sitting still. Trick is not to just sit, keep moving. This is good for health reasons and keeping warm. Plus I have anywhere from 4 to 10 cats who serve as great blankets at night.
  • DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 08, 2017
    Forgot to say our nearest neighbors are at least 6/10's of a mile from us. We are in the middle of the woods on a bluff above the river and our neighbors, deer, turkey, foxes, coyotes and raccoons entertain us. We also have a resident mountain lion in the area who comes to visit every other week. He is on a game trail about 150 yards from the house, has never bothered us or my pets and we visit when I go out for the mail when he is crossing our gravel road. All of this makes living in the woods worth the sacrifice of lots of heat worth it.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 08, 2017
    So smart, thank you for sharing!!!
  • Loi14134901 Loi14134901 on Feb 09, 2017
    If you have one large open living space, maximize the heat nature gives you by using cealing fans to force heated air rising up to be forced down into ground levels. Reverse fans in summer to draw cool air thru open windows in .