Tip: How to Stay Warm in the Cold Weather

+3
wear tights and t-shirt under clothes, wear sweater and thick socks, then windproof hooded coat, scarf and lined boots, don't forget your ear muffs, toque, (hat) as you loose most your heat from your head and lastly some gloves. I work outside a lot and find this keeps me warm. Must not forget I drink hot tea before going out.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 08, 2017
    You are speaking my language. I am a strong beleiver in good socks and mittens!!! And tea of every flavor!!! Love this!
  • Phil a Phil a on Feb 09, 2017
    Live in, or move to, Southern California....
  • Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Feb 09, 2017
    I'm with you Phil. I want to move as soon as husband retires and we can sell home. I'll never get used to northern Illinois weather it's been 51yrs. I can wear that clothes except for ear muffs and coat in my house, today it's very cold out but basicallyI dress warm inside although everyone else complains and walk around in shorts I'm under a blanket. So Phil like I said I'm with you. Would rather be hot than cold. But all things undoing one thing I like the fleece lined tights that are footers and the boot socks for my boots. This allows toes to move and not sweat which can make feet feel cold.
  • Phil a Phil a on Feb 10, 2017
    Some tips you might try... if you have central air conditioning.... place the fan in ON instead of AUTO. This circulates the air constantly and reduces cold spots so the rooms all have pretty even temperatures. You might even be able to lower the thermostat setting. Most people don't realize that winters create low humidity and dry air. It's a good idea to use a steam type vaporizer or simmer a pot of water on the stove. This increases the humidity in the home and increases comfort. Being in the Northeast, you may have boilers with radiators or floor registers. You can use a small fan on low speed to blow cool air through the radiators to spread the warm air around. You can place a pot of water on the floor registers or the radiators to humidify the air as the water evaporates. If you want to warm the bed, or yourself while sitting with a blanket, take a 2 liter soda bottle and fill it with hot tap water. Just make sure the cap is on tight. Wrap it in a kitchen towel. You would be surprised how long the heat lasts. And, it will never get colder than body temp. Place one beside you and/or under your feet on the couch or chair and under the covers about 10 minutes before you get in bed. It makes the bed feel like a warm towel just out of the clothes dryer. Let us know what works for you.
  • DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 12, 2017
    It does not hurt to have a couple of dogs or cats. They make great lap warmers.
  • Phil a Phil a on Feb 13, 2017
    Funny you should say that. The band "Three Dog Night" actually refers to, debatedly, either an Eskimo or Australian term for how cold it is. It's so cold it'll take 3 dogs to keep you from freezing ...