Looking Forward to Making...Seed Bead and Sequin Vases

+8
This isn't something that I have made yet. I have to locate my seed beads and sequins first. In the meantime, I thought I would share these photos that I took while on vacation four years ago in the Dominican Republic. The simplicity of the materials and the beauty in the result is what attracted me to these vases/candle holders. Just providing some eye candy and inspiration for other Hometalkers.
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
Sequin Mosaic Vase or Candle Holder
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
Seed Bead Vase or Candle Holder
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
Top View - Seed Bead Vase or Candle Holder
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
Top View - Sequin Mosaic Vase or Candle Holder
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
So I have begun to try to recreate my own version from the inspiration piece... MUCH, MUCH harder than anticipated. Stay tuned for a full tutorial and finished picture of my seed bead vase.
This picture is interesting because the half facing the camera is dry and clear and the milky side to the back is still drying. (It will be clear and partially tinted when dry.) I am going to cover this entire vase with seed beads. The second vase that I do, I want it to appear like this... I love the randomness of the beads in this picture and how they are suspended in motion.
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
Here is a close up... I feel like these seed beads are larger than the ones on the inspiration piece so I am going to use smaller sized beads on the next vase. This isn't finished. I am going to let it dry overnight and fill in more tomorrow.
Here is a small snippet of my process...
e seed bead and sequin vases, gardening
Here is my version of the inspiration piece. I love it!
  • Victoria Victoria on Feb 08, 2017
    I love these! Great inspiration. Can't wait to try. Thanks for posting.

• Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Feb 08, 2017
      I hope you will share pictures of yours and let me know how your process goes. I have started and posted an "in process" picture and a short video. I think I thought this was going to be an easy-peasy project and I think I am finding out that this is a labor-of-love project.

• Annie Doherty Annie Doherty on Feb 08, 2017
    Your vases are stunning I can see that these wil be labour intensive, but so worth while making. I cannot wait to have a go, thanks for the inspiration :-)

I wish I could take credit for the first four pictures but I can't... they were part of a furnished and fully decorated hotel suite. Aren't they amazing? They really are quite stunning. Mine?  We'll see... they are a work in progress! Thanks for commenting!

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 08, 2017
    I'm so excited to see how yours' come out!

• Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Feb 10, 2017
    I finished my version! If anyone would like to see a tutorial... you can find it here... http://www.hometalk.com/27553765/seed-bead-vase-candle-holder-and-more

• Pat whitmus Pat whitmus on Feb 10, 2017
    What type of glue will you use? I've found that hot glue melts with candle heat...perhaps battery lights will be better? I've so many beads from my jewelry making business and this would give me a great way to utilize them.

I used Mod Podge and I made a tutorial. You may be right about battery operated tea lights. I will experiment with candles and see how the Mod Podge fairs. I want to let it cure for a few days before I start putting lighted candles in it.  I posted a tutorial on the process, you can find it here. http://www.hometalk.com/27553765/seed-bead-vase-candle-holder-and-more I started with Matte Mod Podge but I am also going to try Hard Coat Mod Podge on another. I will let you know if that makes a difference. If you already have the beads, this project is great for you! If you make one, I would love to see it!

I would be happy to take a pix once I get one made. Our first order of business upon returning home is to complete our master bath makeover...then crafts and other creative venues will be on the table for my enjoyment!

• Debbie Debbie on Feb 11, 2017
    what kind of glue did you use ... is this for indoor . or out .. its very lovely

• Stacy Davis Stacy Davis on Feb 11, 2017
      I used mod podge. It is indoor but I bet we could figure out a way to make to make it outdoor, too.