I Usually Begin a DIY Conversation With an Idea

+3
sometimes while i'm out with my daughter(s) we see something we like but its a little on the pricey side and I suggest a way we can make it ourselves and it goes on from there back and forth until one of us tries it...usually me. for example , I recently changed my bedroom around(after several suggestion from my HT friends) I wanted a new lampshade to go with the change but just couldn't afford and I like using things that I have on hand. Sooooo, I thought what do I have ? I tried something we all have..a Tee shirt. Yes, I slipped it over the existing shade, cut the top and bottom to fit the shade and amazingly didn't require glue or tape or sewing. Yay!!! so by using any color shirt and perhaps adding an iron on patch or applique ...Voila! a new lamp shade. Even if its only temporary, you can use with children's décor or living room or any room because t-shirts come in every color and many designs. as you can see in the pics , I added wallpaper to one wall and a strip of it around the lampshade. sorry don't have a picture of the 'before' lamp but this is it with tee shirt and wallpaper.
t i usually begin a dyi conversation with an idea
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 09, 2017
    I'm blown away, I love your room, I'm so glad that you got good advice from this wonderful community! I love that you use what you have to make everything spectacular!
    • Cassandra Caldwell Cassandra Caldwell on Feb 09, 2017
      thanks so much Hillela. In fact the mirror that you can partially see over the dresser...I used silver color nail polish decorate. LOL
  • Wow! Great space! You did a wonerful job. I do the same thing, I look at things and find a way to make it myself or get it for much less. Then again, so do most people on this site, and provides us all with endless inspiration too. ☺
  • Cassandra Caldwell Cassandra Caldwell on Feb 12, 2017
    thank you so much for your kind words.
  • Crao1960 Crao1960 on Feb 12, 2017
    Wow!!! Absolutely stunning! I really like the hint of lavender on your pillows. So about the "throw" on top of your bed? I love the shape. Is it attached to the bedspread? Your tee shirt lamp is sooo darn cool! Great thinking outside the box Cassandra! Please tell me about that throw, or is it the way you folded it ?
  • Cassandra baker Cassandra baker on Feb 12, 2017
    Thank you so much for your kind words. The throw is simply a ribbon tied to look like a bow in the middle. A short piece left over from another project.