How to Use Contact Paper to Make a Beautiful Privacy Window!

$20
2 Weeks

It was time to do something about these windows. We live at the top of a busy neighborhood and my bay windows offer a front row seat to everything going on inside my house. No more eye contact with the joggers, dog walkers, and school kids.

Front Room Window

I have three of these bay windows on the front of my house! THREE!

Privacy Window

With time and patience, you can create an awesome privacy window with contact paper and a stencil.

This project is very time consuming! My wife Mariko and I do everything custom. We have all sorts of the precut, easy to install cling films available over here in Japan too. They look great!

This is an art project and we have all the time and patience in the world for art.

EDIT: This is adhesive contact paper

Adhesive contact paper: extremely difficult to get off of a window. It feels almost impossible! I wouldn't do this to a window still under warranty either. The stickers might void that warranty. The window cleans the same too. Just spray and wipe.

Self-adhesive (cling film): pulls off effortlessly and is reusable. Cleans effortlessly. Some cling films have lovely designs on them, so you don't need to cut out shapes. I don't recommend cutting shapes out of cling film, because they will move or fall off. Static holds cling film to the window where adhesive is help up by glue.

Front Room Bay Windows

Let's start!

You'll need:

• A spray bottle full of water and one drop of dish soap
  • Patience
  • A small squeegee
  • Patience
  • Paper towels. (I used newspaper as paper towels. It's actually common here in Japan on windows. No, the ink doesn't come off )
  • Ruler
  • Boxcutter or exacto knife
  • Did I mention patience..?

Decide on a Pattern

Privacy Bay Window

My wife did this entire project by herself. Here's what she did:

First decide on a pattern. I made this pattern in Photoshop and created my stencil on cardboard. The worst part of this job is tracing and cutting. Figure out how many stickers you'll need and get them all cutout before you start. It'll make this job easier.

Spray the window well with the spray bottle and then put up your sticker. They're easy to move around on top of the water and dish soap solution. Adjust them into position and then squeegee out the water and bubbles. The stickers might still move a little, but will adhere stronger after a couple minutes. Keep wiping the window down and keep extra towels on hand for the mess. It's easier to see air bubbles when it's dark outside too.

Measure and Cut the Stickers

Measure the Stickers

Some of the stickers you'll need to cut. Use a good ruler and boxcutter for this. Be careful not to scratch the window or window seal/caulking.

Cut the Stickers

If you get a stubborn air bubble that you can't get out, make a little cut on it. This should work and be unnoticeable most of the time.

*In my experience, contact paper is extremely difficult to get off of windows when its dry. We did this on a window as practice and spent a lot of time getting them off. Don't use a heat gun on a window, because it might crack the glass. Hair dryers work well though. You can also use sticker remover spray for the stubborn sticker residue.

Try to squeegee out every single little bubble. There will be a lot!

Window Adhesive Bubbles

Here are those pesky bubbles! We put down newspaper to catch all of the run off.

Privacy Window Sticker Pattern

We went with this pattern. We made this in illustrator to fit our window.

The Finished Product

Finished picture from the inside!

DIY Front Room Privacy Window

DIY Privacy Window

Front Room Privacy Window

Finished picture from the outside!

DIY Light Privacy Window

Here's a shot from the inside in the morning.

We love this window and would love to see your privacy window creations!

If you're interested in crafting, building, antiques and themed parties stop by Bryan's Workshop Facebook and Instagram page!

Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Doreen Kennedy

I like the look of the contact paper on your window. I’m curious, if you decide to remove it later, will it come off easy without leaving sticky residue?

• IAsimov

I bought some, & applied, but fear there won’t be enough light for plants. I have a lot of plants. Any comments?

• Karen

Maybe a design that only cover up to eye level for privacy.

Depending how high your window is off the ground also.

I am covering my bottom set of windows that people can peek in but leaving the top window panes uncovered so I can see the trees and sky and brighter light.

• Judy Elkins

What is an illustrator?

• Bryan's Workshop

It's a computer program. You can hand draw a shape in cardboard, cut it out and use that as your template.