Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Stain Remover Made From Household Items

$10

STAINS! We all get them and I can venture to guess that we all hate them. Between having a toddler, a husband, a dog, and myself being an artsy person who doesn’t take the time to change clothes every time I want to work on a project, stains are a regular guest in my house. I’ve tried just about every mainstream, name brand stain remover, and while some of them worked (some of the time!), others were just a
stain remover made from household items

SUPPLIES:
-Dawn soap (I know I’m going to get questions about whether or not any other dish soap will work and I’m going to go ahead and answer that I HAVE NO IDEA. I’ve only tried this formula with Dawn and I’m going to stick with it since I know it works.)
-Hydrogen Peroxide
-Baking Soda
-container to hold mixture
-small funnel (optional)

If you want to buy the glass bottle I used, you can find it here. 

stain remover made from household items

STEP 1: Mix ingredients
For this formula, you’ll want to mix 2 PARTS HYDROGEN PEROXIDE with 1 PART DAWN SOAP and 1 PART BAKING SODA. For example, if you want to make a big batch that’ll last you a little while, mix 2 CUPS Peroxide with 1 CUP Dawn soap and 1 CUP baking soda. I didn’t notice any difference in what to mix first, second or third. Clearly, if you’re using a funnel and you pour in the baking soda first, you won’t have to deal with the baking soda sticking to the inside of the funnel when you you go to mix your wet ingredients. ;)

stain remover made from household items

You may want to use a little spoon or your finger to get the excess Dawn soap out of your measuring cup after pouring it into your container.

stain remover made from household items

You can't really see it in the picture, but when I added the Peroxide I could immediately see the reaction it had with the baking soda...cool little science experiment.

stain remover made from household items

*NOTE: the baking soda is going to want to settle on the bottom and that’s ok—you can either put a little spoon in the container to mix it up every time you want to use it or you can make sure to have an air-tight lid on the container in order to shake it.

stain remover made from household items

STEP 2: Apply stain remover to stain
Next, pour out (or scoop out with a spoon), enough stain remover to cover the stain you want to get rid of. I don’t glop it on but I also make sure to have a generous amount so that the stain is fully covered in the stain remover mixture.

*Note: I spilled coffee on this linen table cloth which is what I was trying to remove without ruining my table cloth.

stain remover made from household items

Then, you can either brush the stain remover into the stain with a scrub brush or do what I do and rub the stained area together. Let the stained item sit for 30 minutes to an hour with the solution. I haven’t timed it but I’ve always had results after this amount of time.

STEP 3: Wash as normal
After I’ve let my stained item sit with the stain remover on it, I through it in the wash at it’s normal cycle with washing detergent. Then I dry it (depending on what the item is…you’ll want to make sure to read your care instructions for whatever it is that you have is stained).

stain remover made from household items

That’s it! I love when I can use household items that I already have on hand to accomplish the same results of if I go out and pay for a bottle of stuff I have no idea what’s in it. Just after Christmas, my husband was totally disappointed because his brand new shirt that he had only worn once somehow got smudgy black stains on it (I still have no idea what he managed to get on it), so I tried this solution on it even after I had already washed and dried the shirt (because I had no idea it had been stained to begin with). Amazingly, the stains came out! I’d say that was a SCORE for this housewife.

*I didn't have to purchase anything to make this stain remover as I had all supplies on hand. I estimate the cost of all supplies as being roughly $10 but that will obviously make a ton of stain remover and the price will vary based on how extravagant of a container you purchase.

If you want to buy the glass bottle I used, you can find it here.

• Sue

I am always looking for make your own cleaner. I was just curious if you realized that you discolored your tablecloth. did you make any attempt to fix it?

• Emily

Can this be used on color fabric? I’m thinking the peroxide would take out or fade the color.

• V

I’ve used straight peroxide on colored fabric a lot and it didn’t discolor. Just dab on, let dry and repeat as necessary. Why not test it on something similar or a scrap piece of fabric. I figured if I couldn’t use the item with the stain on it it wasn’t a risk if it discolored when nothing else had worked!

• Julissa

Can this be used on carpets? I too have two dogs 🐕 soon many more since my girl is having puppies. Please advise, thank you!!!

• Julie

my dog got sick and vomited down the side of my one year old couch. Between the smell and stain, I thought it was a total loss. So when I found this cleaning solution online I figured I had nothing to lose. My ratio I found was a little different but the same ingredients. So I made a large bowl of it, soaked a white tea towel, ring out most but not all of the solution, and soaked it into the affected area. I soaked it a lot. And rubbed gently. Left it alone to thoroughly dry and it worked so well I used the mixture to go ahead and clean the rest of my light grey couch. Came out perfect! All smell and stain completely gone with no discoloration. I have all hard wood floors but I have used it on rugs. And it’s worked just fine.

• Sandra Freeman

I use this mixture for cleaning carpet works beautifully and smells great

• Rowsie
    30 minutes ago

Thank You! I've used these products but substituted vinegar and added one part Water. With "Hit or Miss" results. Now i know "Hydrogen Peroxide" is key. THANK YOU!