Asked on Feb 12, 2017

I have a lot of socks that were separated, what projects can I make?

MeJUDIELinda Johnson
+17

• NatureLuvr
    NatureLuvr

This isn't really a project but I use any old socks with holes or without mates for cleaning. I keep them in a basket in my laundry room. They are excellent for dusting and polishing furniture. I will even use my husband's old white socks for cleaning sinks or items that require bleach cleansers. I throw them in the wash and reuse.
  • Susan Lord
    Susan Lord

Also not a project, but white socks are wonderful for storing items you don't want scratched - silverware or other small metal items, knives, small antique or other collectible items. I even had a friend whose husband kept hand guns in his worn out white athletic socks. The socks are soft and thick enough to provide some protection. Just don't throw them away - as soon as you do, you'll find something you need them for!
  • Cheryl Dixon
    Cheryl Dixon

If the socks are small/singles, and you have small children, try hand puppets! Get eyes from $ store, use leftover rick-rack, lace etc for moustaches, eyelashes, beards, hair, etc. If the child is too young to work with eyes, mom/dad can use a marker and put wherever the child thinks is right.
  • Lyn Buerger
    Lyn Buerger

All of the above are great. I cut some of the tops and use them for cozzies. I cook a lot of soup and put it into jars to store in ref/freezer. I can microwave and use the sock so I can easily move the hot jar of soup. I've even used them on cold drinks to help on the sweating problem.
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS

Cut off the toes and make draft dodgers for the doors. This is not socks, but nylons, I put them over the hose end to vacumn up spilled seed beads. They get caught in the stocking and I get my beads back, especially important if you need them to finish a project.
  • Vicky
    Vicky

I picked up dog chew toys that are just cloth with a fox head. The tummy opens & has a velcro closure. I removed the plastic bottle that came inside of it. Then I put catnip in a sock, sewed it shut & stuck that inside the fox. Kitties love it, & I can remove the old one & replace with a new one whenever it gets old. Sure saves on the mess.
  • Toby
    Toby

I tie a bunch together as tight as possible and my dog thinks it's the greatest toy ever! Once too dirty or worn out, it can be washed or replaced with a new bunch of old or single socks.
  • Johnchip
    Johnchip

No one can ever have enough sock monkeys. And no one, of any age, does not apreciate one as a gift.
    • Me
      Me

One person with more than one sick monkey turns into a cat lady with a whole lot of monkeys Please reasses
  • Lonnie
    Lonnie

Two ideas - One - when my girls were little, I cut off the foot and used the leg part for doll dresses (stretchy socks of different patterns for this idea) I'd cut a hole in each side for the arms and it was an instant dress. The toe and heel made "matching caps" for their heads. When I was real 'creative' I'd put some buttons down the front of the "dress", sewed lace around the hem and/or arm holes. I'd add ties to the "caps". Two was a "ball sock". We put a ball in the toe of a sock held by a binder. We took a hula-hoop and laid it on the ground, paced out our starting line and took turns seeing who could get closest to the center. I can't remember keeping score, but you could. If we had a dog, it would most likely have made that game impossible. LOL
  • Beverly Kohn
    Beverly Kohn

Instead of using a rag on mop for wood floors . slip sock over bottom of mop to either wet mop or dry mop. Do not soak sock.can use fresh ones for any floor
  • Dianne cuddington
    Dianne cuddington

I stuff the dog toy with odd socks and raggy underwear. It makes great stuffing that is washable.
  • Meli
    Meli

Wear mismatched socks!
  • Carole Lee Philipps
    Carole Lee Philipps

Not a project, but a good use for odd socks -- Use them as shoe covers when packing for travel. When you unpack, you can use them to wipe the shoes. They can be washed and reused.
  • Linda Johnson
    Linda Johnson

Use them to dust & clean with. We use them to stain boards when we're doing woodworking projects. They're great for that!
  • JUDIE
    JUDIE

MAKE SOCK MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Me
    Me

Just FYI mixed socks are in fashion. Oh also check your dryer or make sure when you do laundry the socks don't get folded it the sheets. It happens. Best thing is throw them out. Why are you wanting to save them? Do a ovtopus like someone did on one of these thingies.