My Crafting Story...Where Do I Start? :)

+11
Hello, my crafting story begins with my Grandmother, Mother and Aunts. They all sewed, chrocheted, and embroidered. I learned all three in my preteens, but crochet is my favorite. I'm 56 now, I crochet almost everyday, and anywhere I go.
  • Carol Carol on Feb 12, 2017
    Well, I am 75 and I love to crochet too. I just started a blanket in charcoal grey and it will have huge tassels on each end in a darker and lighter shade of grey. Last Christmas I made everyone (18) in my family a winter cap and some for friends too. My favorite gift to friends, instead of a greeting card, is a crocheted dishcloth. Have made many afghans, purses when my girls were young, baby jackets, even rag rugs. My favorite is baby booties which I make for my daughter's charity "Gifts for the Unborn" and she is always thrilled to get a supply. Tell me about what you make.

• DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 12, 2017
    I also learned from my grandmothers and my grandfather, he taught me to work on cars. Sometimes we forget that our elders are a great storehouse of knowledge. We need to teach our children that.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 13, 2017
    Thats fantastic! I learned to crochet from my mother, and my sisters and I get together to crochet together sometimes!

• It is unfortunate that they do not teach any of these in schools anymore like they used to they come in very handy later in life the new generation knows nothing of crafting sewing crocheting cooking budgeting anything because they've taken it from school and parents don't teach it anymore

• Joanie Joanie on Feb 13, 2017
    I have crocheted for YEARS.....I have made afghans, teddy bears, hearts for window hangers, xmas wreaths,( doilies and huge round lace table cloth, all in string.) Geezzzzzzz, it is endless on the many things.......dish cloths, decorative pot holders, xmas ornaments......the list goes on and on!! I LOVE this dying art!!! I have did other methods of crocheting also.

• JEWEL C JEWEL C on Feb 15, 2017
    If you have learned to do any of the crafts, you will always have something to keep you occupied later in life. You won't need to sit an wait for a visit that never comes and it will keep your mind functioning and alert. I make a point to learn one new thing every day . After 80 years it can be a challenge.

• See 2 previous
    • Annie Doherty Annie Doherty on Feb 22, 2017
      Wow go positive are you? I love Dorlis's suggestion, I would imagine that if you started a Craft Club you would meet so many like minded people and make loads of new friends. All sharing their particular expertise.Good luck & best wishes:-)

• DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 16, 2017
    At 76, it keeps my fingers agile. But you do have to remember not to sit too long so your knees don't forget how to work.

• Em Em on Feb 16, 2017
    AMEN on the knees forgetting how to work!!!

• DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 17, 2017
      I have gotten hyaleuronic shots for my knees, but cold weather still gives pain. A recent sold snap and I gave in to just sitting with a heavy throw, a heater and cat on my lap. Lord help me when I get up. Have decided that the old saying "Use it or loose it " is true. The cats do not like it too much, but I try to get up and walk from my chair to the kitchen for a glass of water every 30 minutes. Knees do work better then. JUST PRAYING FOR WARMER WEATHER!!!!!!!!!

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Feb 21, 2017
    This site has great ideas on crochet items. They run pieces of the instructions and pattern over several days(crochet along) They recently did a lovely Dragon Scale hood. Also have several other Dragon Scale items on site.
    For other DIY I go to allfreecrochet.com, allfreeknitting.com, allfreesewing.com You get the idea; you have a craft interrest they probably have a site for it. There is also a giveaway site full of yarn, pots, pans, kitchen tools. Depends on who's giving away what.