Heather Smith
Heather Smith
  • Bellevue, NE

New Cheap Floor

Depending on your floor, repairs or replacement can be quite costly. We have found a way to cut costs and have a beautiful floor with little effort.
This will work on any type of floor. Make sure, whatever floor you are doing, is cleaned. If you have uneven spots on your floor try to make them even by sanding them down.
Got to your local menards or any hardware store.
Supplies you will need.
● Large roll of paper (thickness depends on your preference but, I think thicker paper is much easier to work with)
● One gallon or more of Elmer's glue
● One to two gallons of polyurethane (we used an oil based but, water based is less smelly)
Tear your pieces of paper in any size and shape you'd like.
Mix your glue with water, ratio is 1:1.
Put your paper into the glue and crinkle your paper to wring it out, this will give you the effect in you paper that looks like cracks.
After you wring out your paper, open it up and spread it flat onto your surface, smoothing it out and pushing out any air bubbles underneath.
Once you get your floor covered the way you like it, let it dry over night.
Time to apply your polyurethane. There are several ways to apply it so, Google them and see which is best for you.
Our floor took 5 coats of polyurethane. On the fourth coat, once it was dry, we sand it with 220 grit sand paper. This will help smooth the surface from any imperfections.
Note:
This is a little hard on the back and knees.
new cheap floor, flooring
Sand down high spots on the floor and clean it thoroughly.
new cheap floor, flooring
Lay out your glue covered pieces in any order you prefer. You really can't mess this up.
new cheap floor, flooring
Let your glue dry overnight.
new cheap floor, flooring
Apply your polyurethane and let dry between coats. Be sure to sand the floor before your final coat of polyurethane for a smooth finish.
new cheap floor, flooring
Final coat of polyurethane. Let it dry and cure for several days before placing heavy objects or course backed rugs on your surface.

• Packing paper or paper bags from you local grocery store, Elmer's glue, 220 grit sand paper, Polyurethane.  (Menards)

• Janice

I want to do this over existing tile floor but am concerned about the grout areas that are lower than the tile. Do you think it would work?

• Heather Smith

You can do it over tile. The coats of polyurethane will even it out as you go.

• Verdell

Luv, luv luv the look! Can you do this treatment outside on a patio? The patio floor is cement.

• Reva

how durable is this with pets ?

• Heather Smith

Thanks! I wasnt sure about it at first myself but after we started getting the paper down and saw the way it was laying out, it started to look cool. It has the look of stone and it got better after we coated it with the poly.

• Cheryl B

Hi Heather, I absolutely adore how your floor came out!! I just think I might start in a smaller area I would love to do that in my walk-in 🌹🌹