Painting tip:Tape for Trim

+10
I will always have the blue tape for trimming, large drop cloths and a STEADY hand!! What do you like to do?
  • William William on Feb 13, 2017
    Former homebuilder and remodeler for 20+ years. I don't tape off trim. I use a good sash brush, dip about 1/4' in paint. Lay the brush just slightly away from the trim at a 45 degree angle. Move the brush and creep into the trim. Paint will not go on the trim.
    • See 1 previous
    • Dolores DeLuise Dolores DeLuise on Feb 16, 2017
      Theduke: You're right. Don't say "just a woman," please!!! Women can paint as well as or better than men. There's always a difference when painters don't use tape. I've had several confrontations with painters in my home because I insisted they use tape. I do this because of past experience--and it costs me money, not them, when they have to do it over. I'm sure there are some that don't need to, but not in my house.
  • William William on Feb 13, 2017
    Don't get me wrong! There many that need aides. Why else is painters made. Many Hometalkers use painters tape. I must admit, I do use painters tape when painting furniture. Not many sharp corners. Your tip is good for a lot of members. Some don't think about it until.....OOPS =:)
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 14, 2017
    These are great, thanks!!!
  • Deb Deb on Feb 14, 2017
    I like to keep a damp rag with me to wipe off any drips that inevitably happen. It's so much easier to get it off when it's wet than wait till it dries. I really like the blue painter's tape, also.
  • Wendy Miller Wendy Miller on Feb 14, 2017
    I used to tape. Still use tape on some stuff.
    I keep a damp rag with me, wipe as I mess up (which tends to be a lot). Use a linoleum knife wrapped in a damp rag to for clean lines.
    Hard for me to find tape that doesn't allow paint to bleed. Even tried the expesive Frog tape.
      Yeah, frog, schmog. I've seen on TV that if you paint a strip of glaze first where you're going to tape, it prevents bleeding. I haven't tried it yet.
  • BJ Lyn BJ Lyn on Feb 16, 2017
    Crazy, I know, but I use a small, flat, 1 inch art brush for all the detail work.
    • Joanie Joanie on Feb 16, 2017
      BJ: Not crazy!! I used to be able NOT to tape, when I had a steady hand, but the older ya get, that steadiness seems to go away. :()()()
  • Wendy Miller Wendy Miller on Feb 17, 2017
    I am usually painting walls and baseboards, that's a lot of glaze, lol.
    i have found that if I paint the trim first, it is easier to cut in with the wall color.
    • Int2363025 Int2363025 on Feb 17, 2017
      You are right on track (this coming from a professional painter) the correct way to paint is trim first. Walls last....oops forgot!,! Ceiling first, trim second, walls last!