How to Clean Natural Shower Tile the Right Way (Marble, Granite, Glass

Today’s chemist tip can be a cheap DIY or you can buy the items, either way this is how to clean shower tile the RIGHT way.

Many, actually most, of our readers on Chemistry Cachet really love making their own cleaning solutions. I get emails all the time with questions about certain homemade products and surfaces to use them on.

One of our goals is to make sure we help you find the best products that work, and save you from making something dangerous to you or your surfaces.

There are many myths on pinterest about homemade cleaners. You can see that post in the link.

When I talked about vinegar a couple of months ago, I mentioned you cannot use it on natural stones because it can be harmful. It will eat away overtime and also eat away any finish you have on top.

Vinegar is highly acidic, so it does cut down on soap scum well, but can’t be used on natural stones. Vinegar is one of the main components in our really effective bathroom cleaner (be sure to check out the link for details on this) This particular cleaner is the way to go on plastics, ceramics, acrylic or anything like that.

So, what about those stone tiled showers? That is what we have in our master bathroom and it can be pretty tough to clean correctly.

I have tested dozens of methods over the years since we bought this house, and today I want to share with you how to clean your stone shower tiles.

This is the best, safest way to clean natural stone shower tiles, but will also work on other surfaces.
how to clean natural shower tile the right way marble granite glass, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, flooring, how to, tiling
Stay tuned after these directions to see how to use this for shower glass too!
Ingredients:

• Magic Eraser ( Store-bought or Make your Own DIY from the Book )
  • Natural Stone Cleaner (Store-bought or Make your Own DIY from the Book)
  • Sponge
  • Cleaning Towel

Directions:
I always recommend cleaning showers right after you’ve taken one since it will be nice and hot, all that steam allows the scum to be loosened already.

1. With the magic eraser, rub the areas of bad soap scum. After scrubbing the area with the magic eraser, wipe off with a damp towel.
  2. Next, spray your stone cleaner all over the surfaces. With a sponge, scrub the area. If you own Chemistry Hacks for Home and Outdoors, I love using the stone/granite “everything” cleaner. It works perfect for this.
  3. Now, rub with a damp towel.

It should be nice a clean now!

For cleaning shower glass, directions are very similar, but please read the additional details plus see the short video here!
The hardest part about stone tiles is how the soap scum forms a whitish, almost cloudy like residue on the the tiles. When we first bought the house, I never realized the dull look the tiles had overtime was actually soap build up. It starts out subtle and just keeps building.

Using this method, will make your tiles really brighten up!

This can even be used for the hard water stains and scum on your shower faucets. Be sure to read the details in the link for this! The DIY stone/granite cleaner is a little more soapy than store-bought versions. However, Store-bought will be fine for cleaning the faucets too.

Readers have already enjoyed this, it works so well for soap scum!

Make sure to click the link below to read important chemist tips and FAQs on this post!

Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Ej

I have Mexican tile the sort with doggie footprints in ti how to clean or refinish?

• Ronda Copenhaver Flinn Nix

Be careful! It depends on if the Mexican tile is sealed or not. Certain cleaners(top job, ammonia, vinegar) will "cloud" sealed tiles. I just use warm water on sealed tile and SCRUB!

• Sandy

I have inherited a lovely lounge suit, one of the armchairs has awful body stains on it, how can I clean it? It is a fabric suit.

• Trish

We bought a home that had terrible hard water deposits on the clear shower doors. I have used vinegar, magic eraser, kaboom, sano-Brght, and just about everything else! Can can hard water deposits "etch" glass over time? Should I just get new doors?! 🤔😖. Thank you for your article and your help!

• Charl

I bought a neglected house with horrible hard water build up. Tried EVERYTHING. Finally used a window scraper...perfect! Super clear. Just take your time not to scratch the glass. I was desperate but I saw it online and tried it and figured it was my last resort and if it scratched it up then it was time for new glass doors. After that I use Rain X that's used on cars...glass always stays clear and clean...swear by it.

• Belva Cunningham

To eliminate a lot of this work for build up on the glass and tile, I use a squeegee on all after turning off the shower. All is spot free, no scum and the squeegee costs as little as a dollar at Dollar Tree, or $15 at the home decor stores. Once in a blue moon I will 'clean' the glass and walls if there are streaks or missed spots.
  • Nicolle Jae Chin

I bought my magic erasers online for $5 for 50 pieces that are about 4 inches (L) x 2 inches (W) x 1 inch thick. They are super amazing and I LOVE MAGIC ERASERS!! Just make sure u keep rewetting it so that it doesn’t dry out and fall apart quickly!