Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Mounted Mason Jar Spice Storage

$17

I'm not sure about y'all, but with a lot of my spices, I buy in bulk because I go through them so fast (specifically Italian spices such as Oregano, Parsley, Basil and Garlic, because my husband is Italian and let's face it, when you live in NY, you make and eat a lot of Italian food!). The big, bulky spice containers that I get from the grocery store and Costco take up too much room in my spice cabinet, so I decided to try my hand at this cute little spice storage idea using mason jars. I'm so happy with how they came out and even happier that I don't have to deal with the bulky plastic spice containers anymore--I can simply re-fill my blue mason jars when I'm running low and then store the rest.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

mounted mason jar spice storage, mason jars, organizing, storage ideas

Click to buy these fun blue mason jars on Amazon.

SUPPLIES:
-Ball mason jars (I used 8 oz. blue jars, but feel free to use whatever style mason jar you wish!)
-Dewalt 12v drill/screw gun
-HiTemp mini hot glue gun
-mini hot glue gun sticks
-wood screws (I used 1/2" screws but you'll want to get whatever size is good for under your top cabinets that won't blow through your shelves.)

STEP 1: Hot glue seals
Because I was going to be mounting these jars to the underside of my top kitchen cabinets, I needed them to be secure, so I hot glued the flat seals to the lid of the mason jars.

I made sure to apply pressure while the glue was still hot to ensure a good hold.

STEP 2: Mount lids to underside of cabinet
Next, I took my drill and screws and drilled one screw from the underside of the mason jar lids to the underside of my top cabinet. I tried to get the screw as close to center as possible. Feel free to pre-drill a hole in to the center of your lids before mounting.

Then, I screwed my spice-filled jars onto my mounted lids.

I couldn't believe how quick and easy this project was! We plan to eliminate our top cabinets in the coming months as part of our kitchen reno, but I may use this same concept with our open shelving because I love how easy these cute little jars are!

You can buy these blue mason jars here.

And can we just agree that these blue mason jars are to die for?! I absolutely love how pretty they are and how they add a touch of color to my kitchen.

(Note: My cost for this project was $17 because I only had to purchase the jars.)

• Rick Cook

Do the screws interfere with the inside of the cabinet that they are screwed into? Also ..do the lids turn when you try to screw the jar on or off (would 2 screws be a better idea)? Looks like a GREAT idea and an easy way for quick storage

• The screws do not interfere as they are approximately the same length of how thick the cabinet is. Some of the lids did turn a little so you may want to add another screw for good measure.

• Jea13558753

What kind of screws did you use

• Charly

Good idea and the jars are very pretty but how do you remember what spice is in what jar? What happens if someone mixes them up? Is there any way to label them?

• Pat Benson

how about labels?

• Marcia Andrews

Add labels to the front just as you would if you were making jelly, etc.

• You can definitely add labels if you so choose! ;)

• Mary Insana

If you want to keep the jar blank you can make a label and stick to the underside of the jar. All you'll need to do is look under the jar. I can usually identify my spices by look. Except for the time I sprinkled cinnamon into my soup instead of cumin lol.

• Loi15809548

Lol, Mary Insana, must have had a cold when you made that soup. 😁. Like you, sight & smell tell me what I need to know about what's in the jar. 😎

• Patti

Years ago my Mom was helping with Thanksgiving dinner at my home. She & I had the same Tupperware sifter containers. She kept flour in hers but I kept confectioners sugar in mine. Things were hectic with all the food prep, visiting, etc. SHE made the gravy with my powdered sugar .... 😜

• Charly

See what I mean. Mix ups. Needs labels. And fyi, when you get older you lose your sense of smell. Sometimes that's a good thing. No more skunk smells. lol

• Loi15809548

Papoose03, great story & sounds like a fun day of cooking together (best times ever are families cooking together)! Guess I'm lucky at age 70+ my sense of smell still works.

• Christiane Tousignant

There are bistro chalk marker that you can use on glass and when you wash them it goes away

• Gunny

I would think the spices wouldld dry out after a period of time. can you still use them?

• I usually taste and smell them but I think the spices would last longer in these than the original container. some seasonal spices like sage, if only used at Thanksgiving might need a little more tlc but she said she goes through the Italian spices rather quickly.

• Irish Pack

storing in glass is preferable to storing in plastic for me. i have no scientific proof, but i think things stay fresher in glass.

• Marlene Bos

I store my spices long term and they stay fresh. I buy bulk so I can buy in small quantities. If you have a store that sells bulk foods, the spices are usually much cheaper than in little jars or cans. I am referring to the type where you can measure out how much you want, not where you have to buy large containers of spices.

• Shirley Caulfield

Awsome idea, and labels work for me!

• Myrna Gathman

Attatch the lids to a piece of wood(lath) before attatching to the cupboard if worried about the screw going through the cupboard. Liquid Nail to the piece of wood to the under cabinet.

• Geri

Using colored (opaque) glass is better than clear, as some spices will be affected by light exposure ... great solution! And I agree, re-mounting under the new open shelving will be super cute also!!

• Dpbeee2

Wouldn it e better to leave the flat lids removable for cleaning? Nice idea by the way. Thanks.

• I guess technically you wouldn't have to glue the flat seal now that I think about it but to me, it gives me peace of mind knowing everything is secure.

• Dpbeee2

I shouldnt have asked that. Sorry. Good idea. I think it wiil work for my sewing supplies. Thank you.

• Susan

does really well in a workshop also - using the clear jars so you can see screws, nuts, bolts, wire etc. - I've seen this done with the glass baby food jars too.

• Marlene Bos

If lids are not glued to rings, the rings would likely turn with the jar and make opening difficult.

• BJ

Itd the flat lid (not the ring) that is screwed to the cabinet so it would be unrealistic to leave it unglued. It could just be wiped clean in place.

• Kmr13873344

Almost sure if it bothers you to not be able to wash the flat lids you could add another.

• Joe Jones

You couldn’t leave it unglued for cleaning because the lids are screwed up there and don’t come down regardless

• Carolyn leep

Can you see the screws on the in side of the cabinet?

• No you can't see them at all.

• Linda Hall

I know this is over a year old but if someone could answer this would be appreciated. How big of a screw would you use? Also won’t it go through the bottom into the cabinet?

• Joe Jones

You would use the shortest screw you can find probably a 3/8” anything shorter than 1/2” depending on how thick your cabinets are

• T_s32028998

You have to measure the thickness of the cabinet you are screwing into. Then get screws that are shorter. Then they won’t go through. I suggest putting two screws in each lid. If the one screw gets loose your jar could just spin

• Joe Jones

I hope you get a notice I answered you

• Jennifer

That's a good suggestion about the 2 screws T-Snava. I handn't even thought of that.

• Joe Jones

The jar can just spin with 2 also because of the seal if the ring comes unglued it’ll just spin

• Jean Lichtel

I like it wouldn't a magnetic strip work as well. Since I just remodeled
    my kitchen I'm hesitant to put a lot of screw holes into expensive cabinetry.

• You could definitely try a magnetic strip--I would just be cautious that they jars don't fall and shatter on your countertop.

• Jared Rubink

velcro

• Pop28638202

Great idea. At first I thought magnets were used. I'll have to try it with knife rack / stripe magents and smaller mason jars.

• Kathy

Why not use a piece of wood to mount the jars on then screw that to the underside of the cabinet. You could use Liquid Nails to glue the lids to board then you'd only have 2 screws to mount the board.

• Pam

Amazon sells incredibly strong small magnets not very expensive!

• Joe Jones

I’ve got to ask why you glued the lids , is it something I haven’t seen? Because the ring will hang by the flat seal when it’s screwed up there. That makes it secure we’ve been doing this in the garage for years for nuts bolts screws nails and such I was wondering if I have missed something that you saw or you’re extra cautious.

• Jennifer

I would say she does it so she doesn't have to hold the lid when she unscrew the jar. Because wouldn't it just spin if the flat lid piece isn't glued to the other part of the lid?

• Tec28464808

I would prefer doing it as Joe suggested. #1 Its easily do-able that way #2 Who wants toxic glue around their spices?

• Cbm8852660

If you put 2 screws in each lid, they would not spin.

• Sally-Charles Evans

I have purchased one-piece lids at Walmart and our True Value hardware store that could be used. Just drill two holes through the lid before mounting it. I have one lid on a handled mason jar that I use as my cooking salt shaker. I drilled several small holes in the lid.

• Lawrence W Dubreuil

Jennifer is right, no matter how "Tight" you screw the flat seal it will eventually loosen....

• Joe Jones

How will the flat seal eventually “loosen”? She wasn’t saying it would loosen she was saying the ring would spin on the flat seal part with the jar so you’d have to hold it still so it would take two hands to take the jar off.

• Connie Logan

How come you didn’t put labels on jars as to WHAT is inside each???

• LaFawne

Guessing it is because she can easily recognize each spice. She says she buys in bulk and uses them a lot, so she is probably much more familiar with them than someone who only occasionally uses them.

• Gayle Schultz

Good cooks know their spices.

• Connie Logan

Good for you Gayle. But most of need help

• Gloria

FYI, they make really nice white plastic lids for canning jars. And recently i have seen green ones, too. They can be mounted the same way. They are all one piece, so no gluing. Have you seen these?

• Tec28464808

The only problem with the plastic ones is that they break easily. I have lost a few of them when they accidently get dropped while attached to a jar, the lid cracks along the seams and you can't use it anymore.

• Sherry Hein

They work well. Consider a washer between the screw head and lid. Less risk of cracking.

• Butterflymorning

How can you sprinkle the herb or salt out if you don’t have the holes to sift thru?

• Debbie Green

Great idea! I wonder if there is a way to make the lids so you can shake your stuff out instead of pouring it out? I have to let my brain think for a minute...or hours. Lol

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Pour some in the palm of your hand then sprinkle on with the fingers from your other hand.

• Margaret Green

Glue a magnet to the regular spice jar lid and attach a piece of sheet metal to the underside of the cabinet.

• Debbie Green

That's a really good idea! Thanks!

• Debbie Green

That's what I don't want to do. But, thanks anyway.

• Mam1513510

Create an inner seal for the jar itself with holes in it like the ones regular spice jars use. You could tape something like a cupcake holder or even hot glue a piece of plastic cut to fit. You may need to re-glue each time you fill it up.

• Don30890236

have a spare lid w/holes in it, and an extra ring. make a little bracket or box to hold it and there you go.

• Debbie Green

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the solutions!

• Trish Smith-Lucas

Thats a great idea. Just have the extra lid pre-holed on hand! 💙

• Joann Grisham

Using dried spices you really should put them in your hand, and rub your hands together, this wakes the spices up. Then add them

• Debbie Green

I didn't know that! I'm not much of a cook since I am by myself but when I do use them I am going to try that!

Thanks so much for the tip! I appreciate it!

• Rene warren

wish more people knew this! i grow my own spices and dry them whole. they aren’t crushed until cooking time

• Ejn33122827

Not if u are going to screw it into the lid, which will be permantly attached to your cabinet

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Is the glue step really necessary? If you pre-drill the lid and place the ring on and screw it in the lid will hold the ring up.

• Margaret Green

My dad did a version of this for his work shop. But instead of using canning jars, he just recycled food jars like peanut butter. One piece lids don't need to be glued together.

• Veronica Heaney

With the seal between the glass and metal lid, there's more friction between the jar and lid than between lid and ring. It's likely that you will eventually need to hold the ring each time you remove the jar, since it will start slipping and create a looser fit - more air, shorter herb/spice life.

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Yes smaller peanut butter lids fit as do smaller mayonnaise lids. there are a couple other that work too. I forget what brand it was but there was a fruit jar and I think a spaghetti sauce that had lids that would fit the mason jars. I haven't found any that fit the wide mouth jars. but of course they sell plastic ones that fit and they aren't very expensive. The walmart brand Mainstays has a pretty inexpensive set. I forget if it was 6 or 10 lids for only a couple of dollars

• Candace

WHyde not save a step and use one piece lids?

• B

That’s what I was gonna say!

• Candyhd84

Hot glue does not hold for long. If you wish to glue the lids I suggest Gorilla glue. Try and get that apart - not happening. But I agree with Nadine. A better hold with a screw.

• Rachel Wenzel Istenes

The only thing I can think of as to why you would glue the lid is to prevent it from twisting as you twist the jar. You would have to hold the lid with one hand and twist the jar with your other hand.

• Tina Brady

Please post pics, if you take out top cabinets and put cabinets up!!!

Been thinking of doing myself, but I have cats!!! Like the idea of pinching the herbs, I tend to shake them everywhere but the pot.

• Tina Brady

Put up shelves, sorry!