Painting tip: Clear out the room

+8
Allow one evening to move everything you can out of the room, including closets and curtains. Wipe all walls down with a damp cloth. The next evening tape the room up. If you have time start painting, be sure to determine ahead if it will require one coat or two. My experience has been that it may or may not. Wait until it dries and retape for the woodwork. Then throw out all the stuff you have that you haven't used in years and put your beautiful room back together.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 14, 2017
    Interesting - why do you wipe down the walls with a damp cloth? Thanks for sharing!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 14, 2017
    Smart advice to break up the tasks. Its so much more realistic! I thought I could conquer 2 rooms in the same night- and boy was a I wrong, and disappointed. Thank you for sharing!!
    • Bernice H Bernice H on Feb 18, 2017
      Ha...there was a time when I could do a room in a day..now it takes a day to do a wall! That happens! Except if you're like my hubs..no prep ..just slosh away..good enough! I am not a big fan of good enough...but sometimes I have to let it go! But 2 rooms in a night..pretty ambitious! An aha moment for you? 😜
  • William William on Feb 14, 2017
    I remove all the small stuff in the room then move all the furniture and large items to the center of the room. I do wash the walls and ceiling with a vinegar and water mixture using a sponge mop. Since I'm a pro painter I don't tape off. Takes too much time. Cover the furniture and floor with drop cloths. Start with the ceiling then the walls. I cut in first then paint.
  • Jam6834330 Jam6834330 on Feb 14, 2017
    People that are not pros need to tape and I hope the person that sold them the paint sold them paint brushes, drop cloths and a roller and pan. I am not a pro but I did not hire a painter until I was in my 70's. I use vinegar if it is a grease riddled rooms. The people at the paint store has wonderfulf advice. I painted my own house for years because I could do it better. I am now happy to hire it done.
  • Ginny Ginny on Feb 16, 2017
    Washing down walls and woodwork removes all dirt and grime that accumulates over the years and paint adheres better to clean walls. Also, wash your windows, blinds and curtains ahead of time if weather is good so that dirt from the windows doesn't float around the room when paint is still damp. Also, wait a few days before rehanging pictures and knickknacks.
  • Jeannie Carle Jeannie Carle on Feb 17, 2017
    Can't move the stuff out of "one room" cuz I live in "one room" (40x20 ooold school classroom) I CAN move it all down to the center and other end. I CAN'T reach the ceiling, because it's 11 ft and I don't do more than a step-ladder - but I CAN recruit friends and a couple of neighbors :-) It's edging the ceiling/wall that worries me. I do not have a ladder tall enough to do it "neatly".
  • Jam6834330 Jam6834330 on Feb 17, 2017
    . The right brush helps a lot. I call it cutting the room or trimming it out. When I paint I prefer to cut it first and then start rolling. That way when I get a Wall done I can see how it is going to look. Go buy the 3 step ladder that is reasonable and everyone should have for their home. It is stable and very user friendly. Folds up!