I show my love by keeping my Mother's door decorated!

+21
My Mother is in assisted living. Most residents have wreaths on their doors, but I go a little over board. The problem is that once I started they all wait to see what is next! Not only does it boost the spirits of the residents, it makes it easy for my Mother to find her room.
e i show my love by keeping my mother s door decorated, doors
  • Swinnen Lisette Swinnen Lisette on Feb 14, 2017
    Wow, what a good idea !

• These are so pretty! Good for you, I am sure everyone else enjoys them too. Great job, and a smart idea. Thanks for sharing.🤗

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 15, 2017
    That's so beautiful! What a meaningful way to lighten up everyone's day! Thank you for sharing!!!

• Tamra Lynn Norman Hess Tamra Lynn Norman Hess on Feb 15, 2017
    You are an amazing daughter, I work in an Assisted Living and these seemingly small touches are pure Love!!!

• Angela Peraldo Angela Peraldo on Feb 15, 2017
    Very thoughtful and a very good idea for someone's Mother that has memory issues .

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 15, 2017
    This is so lovely! Thank you for sharing.

• Mollie Cordero Mollie Cordero on Feb 15, 2017
    They won't let us put anything on the doors facing general areas where my Mom is, saying it is a fire hazard so I convinced them to put a photo of each resident in a plastic sleeve and attach to the doors near the door handles (with double side tape) so each can see their own room from their wheelchairs or walkers. I then decorate the side facing into her living area with wreaths, photo collage, seasonal items, etc.

• Pamala Wolf Housenick Pamala Wolf Housenick on Feb 16, 2017
    Please take pictures of each door after you have complete it. I did a monthly posterboard for a family member in a nursing home. As you said, staff and residents looked forward to seeing what was next. Sadly instead of the three months of stay it turned into five years and by then I never thought to take the pictures. Would have made a great remembrance album.

• Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Feb 16, 2017
    I saw a great idea for a door wreath for an assisted living. Take a wooden frame and paint it, distress if you like. Then take wide ribbon or burlap and wrap it around the frame like a cross. Everyone seems to love this.

• Carol Carol on Feb 17, 2017
    I managed a retirement apartment community and we would have "door decorating contests." The residents and their families loved it. Everyone knew that Mabel lived in the apartment with the big straw hat on the door! Our staff was always trying to think of crazy things we could do to get the residents to laugh.

• See 2 previous
    • Hope Hope on Feb 20, 2017
      My Mother has been in assisted living for 3 years. I have found that with staff changes, this often happens when another commercial group buys the facility, that the fun and compassion changes also. Thank you for thinking of your residents.

• Kcama Kcama on Feb 17, 2017
    This is a lovely idea. I made a wreath for a friend's mother that has a paper dahlia outside ring, and attached a CD with magnets in the center. Then I decorated several CDs to match the seasons and holidays - putting magnets on the back, and a small ribbon tab on the side. It's so easy to change out the centers, and easy to store the decorated CDs.

• Mary Boger Mary Boger on Feb 17, 2017
    I did this for my father in law. He enjoyed them and so did
    the staff and other residents. Particularly the patriotic
    themed ones, he was a veteran. Miss you Barney!

• Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Feb 17, 2017
    Thanks, everyone who I show a picture of that to, just loves it! I will be making some soon but I sell so this will be for a craft sale. one thing I like about these besides they are so lovely and the nursing homes/assisted living homes seem to love them but if they dont sell, they are easy to take apart and repurpose!

• Juanita Juanita on Feb 18, 2017
    I started decorating my sister's door and the staff loves its. I also decorate the wall space that is shares by her room mate. I use gift bags that are seasonal and frame them and hang in the space. They look forward for the changing seasons.

• Charlene Whitlock Charlene Whitlock on Feb 18, 2017
    When my father-in-law could no longer remember as a result of Alzheimer's, he had trouble finding his room. His favorite hobby was fishing so we mounted a child's fishing pole on his door to help him find his room. It was successful.

• Hope Hope on Feb 20, 2017
      That is so sweet and one of the reasons I keep her door decorated. It gets her a lot of attention which she enjoys so much. Visitors will walk in and ask about her door! They don't realize the most important purpose.

• Tova Pearl Tova Pearl on Feb 19, 2017
    This is such a sweet idea! A very very special way to show your love

• Dl.5660408 Dl.5660408 on Feb 19, 2017
    Such wonderful ideas for adding "spice" to life