DIY Yarn + Essential Oil Dryer Balls

$10

If you are trying to rid your life of unwanted chemicals then this is a great way to start. I mean who really wants to dry their clothing, towels, and sheets with chemicals? This project is not only a way to get rid of some chemicals in your life, but it is also super green! With a couple skeins of yarn and some essential oils you can make some lovely smelling reusable dryer balls that are free of any harmful chemicals!
diy yarn essential oil dryer balls, appliances
STEP 1: Take the end of your yarn and wrap it around 4 fingers about 10 times.

STEP 2: Carefully remove the yarn from your fingers keeping it wound and wrap the yarn down the middle in the opposite direction 10 times.
STEP 3: Keep wrapping yarn around in all directions wrapping 10 times every time you change directions.

The yarn will start to really shape into ball form. When it reaches the size of a tennis ball you are set!
STEP 4: Cut the ball away from the skein of yarn leaving a nice size tail.
STEP 5: Tuck the tail of the yarn into the ball several times so it is nice and secure!

Repeat making as many balls as you wish...
STEP 6: Take your first ball and tuck it into the stocking all the way down into the toe of one leg.
STEP 7: Tie a knot above the yarn ball to secure it in place. Add another ball and tie another knot behind that one as well.
STEP 8: Continue adding the yarn balls and knots until all the balls are inside the stocking.
STEP 9: Throw your yarn stocking into the wash with a load of towels and let it go through the hottest cycle possible.

Once it is done being washed throw it in the dryer as well.
STEP 10: Undo the knots and remove all the yarn balls from the stocking. They should be nice and secure. Because of the yarn being wool the balls really gain their shape while in the washer and dryer.
STEP 11: Add the essential oils of your choice to the balls by adding a few drops all around each of the balls. I used lavender and rosemary, but you can add any you would like. When you feel like the balls are losing their fragrance simply add several more drops before throwing them in the dryer with your load.
STEP 12: Let the essential oils dry and then they are ready to be used!
These lil fuzzy guys are of course not for looks, but they are kinda cute hehe...
I can't wait to use these! They smell wonderful and will be much less annoying than dryer sheets that get stuck to everything.

• Terry Brown

I always wanted to try this but I am allergic to wool is there a way you can put something around them and still be able to use them?
  • Jill Grimes

Will these soften clothes and remove static cling?

• Nancy

how many wool balls does it take for a full dryer load?

• Mimi

I started out with four, then my neighbor’s dryer croaked, and she took one home with her. Then my daughter came home and did laundry. She took another one home with her. Now I have two, and they work fine.

• Hungryhelper

To save a little money you can buy yarn and, stockings at the thrift stores at a lot less. This is a great idea for the dryer. I bought 2 woolen balls that is all I need for the dryer even for large loads. They help very much. Plus I'm allergic to wool and these don't bother me at all.

• Aiokersonalicea1
    31 minutes ago

Awesome DIY!!!!🤗

This is a keeper. Will be doing as soon as I get the right kind of yarn!!!