Tip: My Favorite DIY Tools for Beginners - What Are Yours?

+22
I have learned so much from DIYing over the past 15 years and the two houses we have lived in. I wish I had known all about the tools that we should have invested in before we made all the mistakes we made in the earlier years. My favorite DIY tools for beginners are some simple things that make projects run smoothly and more easily.

My favorite DIY tools for beginners:
  • Paint
  • Sandpaper
  • Sander
  • Cricut
  • Drill
  • Paint Sprayer
  • Good Paint Brushes
  • Miter Saw

What are YOUR favorite DIY tools for beginners?

You can see why these tools made my list on my blog post: http://mycreativedays.porch.com/diy-tools-for-the-beginner/

t my favorite diy tools for beginners what are yours, tools
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 16, 2017
    This is so helpful! Thank you for sharing!
    I do have a question- When would you use the paint sprayer instead of brushes?
    • Lindsay Eidahl Lindsay Eidahl on Feb 16, 2017
      If I have bigger projects or projects with a lot of detail (like dining room table legs and chair legs), I like to use a sprayer. It makes less work and covers all the nooks and crannies so much better.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 16, 2017
    I like these, thank you for sharing! I'm actually a little intimdated by a sander :)
  • Rae Rae on Feb 16, 2017
    I had to laugh at this question. It brought back a lot of memories. For years until I assembled my own tool selection my go to tool was a regular ol kitchen knife. You wouldn't believe what all you can do with this baby. My fav now probably is a pry bar which I seem to use a lot lately pulling nails, taking up wood work and in a pinch the the one end can be used as a hammer for smaller nails
  • Great list! I still, after all these years, do not have a paint sprayer. Thought about it, but never bought one. I guess I go into zen mode and the painting is therapeudic for me maybe? Also do not have a cricut, but for me it is: where do I stash it? And the initial cost. And I am part of the flatware club, I have fixed, pryed, planted more stuff with a butter knife, fork, spoon and chopsticks.
  • Rae Rae on Feb 18, 2017
    Way to go Naomie. And I thought I was creative with my knife!!
  • Joanie Joanie on Feb 19, 2017
    I use whatever is handy and works. I don't favor my tools. Sometimes on a project, a screwdriver or hammer won't work, for one reason or another. I choose what is in my MIND for a project, I'm a DIY er and when I need a tool, a LOT of things will work and ALOT won't!.......THINK about it.......grab it and do it!
  • 861650 861650 on Feb 19, 2017
    A glue gun and my awesome Black & Decker Mouse sander!
  • Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Feb 20, 2017
    My tool room would rival most mens! I love my tools and have been adding to them for years. My next purchase? A hydraulic nail gun. I love to DIY. I have built shelving units for my craft space in my basement and make my own picture frames. There isn't much I haven't attempted and learned how to do. You Tube is my best friend for learning how to do new things!
  • Anna Anima Mundi Anna Anima Mundi on Feb 21, 2017
    This is a useful list! Tell me...how do you learn how to use a miter saw? I am intimidated by saws
    • Lindsay Eidahl Lindsay Eidahl on Feb 22, 2017
      My dad taught us all we know. They are a little intimidating and my husband does most of the work with it. Practice makes progress that is for sure!!!
  • Ptpatti Ptpatti on Feb 21, 2017
    Hmm, you should be cautious with a saw. I never let my fingers get close to the blade.
    A miter saw is the best! I have only used my husbands, but the concept should be the same on any model. Buy some inexpensive wood if you don't have scraps to learn on. I learned with strips of 1" X 2" X 8' pine. I expect you can find tutorials on YouTube that can explain the two angles used. Practice making exact measurements in the lengths of your boards. I made errors in that measurement even tho my corners were perfect. Hubby helped me with that problem.
    You can make mitered corners as soon as you know how to use the saw.
    Miter saws are great!