Amazing Faux Rustic Wood Beams..

DIY Faux wood beams built with regular pine wood and refinished to look like reclaimed wood with natural stains.
Step by Step on how to achieve this great finishing!

Wood beams installed..
Wood beams installed..

After my husband built the faux wood beams, using (2) 10' x 10" x 1" for the sides and (1) 10' x 8" x 1" for the bottom, making a U shape beams. He built 3 for our dining room/living room area.

Plain pine wood, sanded and ready to get faux

To start our process we are going to need stains in these colors:
Rustic Reality
Squirrel
Midnight Blackness
White Ning
Weathered Daydream
A cup with water and a soft brush (Love the Cling-On Brushes by the way ;)

UnicornSPiT
UnicornSPiT

Let's start painting!!
Wet the tip of your brush with water and then with the color you want to start with (Don't use the white but until the end, bare with me and I'll show you when..)
Apply directly to your wood with long and fast brush strokes for the wood to absorb it.
Almost immediately wet the tip of your brush again and select another color, maybe the gray?

amazing faux wood beams

Without letting the colors dry, blend every color looking for a natural weathered look.

amazing faux wood beams

A little of black blended with some gray and a touch of brown ...

amazing faux wood beams

Don't forget to wet the tip of your brush before blending each color for an easier and more natural finishing.

What do you think?
What do you think?

After I finished with the (3) beams I went back, now with a dried paint to dry brush some of the UnicornSPiT White Ning to get the weathered look.

amazing faux wood beams

For this step,
Get a dry brush and apply the white paint in random areas blending it with the existing paint very well, again fast but this time short brush strokes.

I'm done!
I'm done!

About 20 minutes later the paint was dried and ready to get some sealer. I used Minwax Fast dry Polyurethane in satin finish.

This is how they look installed..
This is how they look installed..

amazing faux wood beams

Dining room area..

amazing faux wood beams

Living area..

amazing faux wood beams

Hope you guys like my version of faux wood beams!
Thank you..
Maria A Revollo.

M&B Furniture Decor
Southern Blenders.

amazing faux wood beams

• UnicornSPiT Stains  (UnicornSPiT.com)
  • Cling-On Brushes  (3monkeysantiques.com)
Southern Blenders

• Bettye Martinez

I love your curtains. I have burlap panels on my windows and I want my husband to build cornice boards like yours but I want my curtains to be fuller like yours. Can you tell me how yours are made? I love the fullness of them and how are they made at the top? Again, I must say your home is so beautiful!

• Thank you so much Bettye! We also built the cornices, I designed them and my husband built them for me to refinished them. I bought my burlap panels in Amazon I got (2) 50" wide panels on each side to look fuller. This are rod pocket at the top.

• Join the conversation

Next
    Prev