Chalkboard Herb Plant Markers

63K Views
See how to make chalkboard herb markers that won't rub off in the rain. Very easy and doesn't take much time.

Cost: $3.00Difficulty: Easy
  • chalkboard herb plant markers, chalkboard paint, crafts, gardening

I found the above craft sticks at the Dollar Store, and because they’re wood, I sealed them on both sides.  You can see where I held them as I brushed the sealer on.  After they dried, I did the other side and where I held them.   Any sealer from the craft department can be used.

I thought it might look nice to paint one of the end the same color as the pot it was going in.  After the top dried, I measured and used painters tape over the painted top. 

Then I brushed a couple of coats of black chalkboard paint over the rest of the stick, on both sides.

I used General's Charcoal White Pencil to write the name of the herb on the dried chalkboard paint. My blog has a printable with names of herbs and in the small size font you'll need for this. I needed to protect this so rain wouldn’t wash it off, so I sprayed it with Krylon Matte Finish sealer.

Now you can leave it out through all the heavy downpours without worrying about the chalk coming off.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Craft sticks  (Dollar Store)
  • Chalkboard paint  (Michael's)
  • General's Charcoal White pencil  (Art Store)
Theredpaintedcottage

Ask a Question
    • Judy
      Judy New York, NY

I just use a pop sickle stick, with a felt pen. When I need it for a diff plant, there is 2 sides, or the other end. You can use pop sickles, or buy them in a store. Think creative, and you will get lots of ideas. With so many diff colors of violets, I make my notes in a code to make the title shorter.

• Judy
        Judy New York, NY

PS. I anyone is having problems with plants not getting water from the bottom saucer, let me know, and I will tell you a real secret that is great. Plants can't drink up the water, in the bottom of the store saucer., believe me. Do not water them from the top, you will cause the basic core of the plant to rot.

• Thelma
            Thelma Emmett, ID

Push a wick (just a piece of cloth) into the hole in the bottom of the pot then lay the other end of the wick flat in the saucer as you sit the pot down. Voila! The plant can now get all the water it needs.