Throwback Thursday: Our 2006 Bathroom Update

+1
On the other side of the north wall of our bathroom is the access to the basement. There are both an inside and outside doors leading to it with the stairs themselves being closest to this wall. I came up with an idea of making use of the space that is above the lowest portion of the stairs by making it part of the bathroom. I'm sharing pictures that will show you most of the steps.

e throwback thursday our 2006 bathroom update, bathroom ideas

This was my vision. In it we would be re-using an existing sink top, faucet, 3 door mirrored medicine cabinet and cabinet doors we were given many years before. (The lines next to the sink represent tile that would extend the existing sink top to fill the space.)

Here you see the hole in the wall with the beginning of the framing.

This is the hole as you see it from another angle. In this one you can see the door that connects to the inside of the house. There's a small landing and then a few steps down to the level of the backdoor entrance. The framing you see above the door is from a storage area we added up there.

This is the framing as seen from the inside of the bathroom.

This is the framing as seen from the back door entrance (you can see a bit of the open door on the right) after the insulation was in place.

The dry walled inside. The light switch and outlet boxes had to be positioned one above the other because of the tight space on that side.

I built this cabinet. I made the pullout to take the place of the medicine cabinet (explained further down). I used drawer glides we recycled from an old office desk.

... and here it is with the door closed.

The nearly finished space. Still to do was repairing the wall next to it. You'll notice that I changed some things from the original plan. The exiting medicine cabinet couldn't be used because it blocked the light. The oval mirror is much prettier and allowed room for us to add a glass shelf under it. The cabinet is also different from the original plan. When I looked through the cabinet doors I realized there weren't two that matched so I couldn't put one on the upper portion. I decided to make the entire cabinet shorter and have the open space for towels to be displayed.