Painting Lessons Learned: thoughts?

+3
First let me start by saying, I used to hate painting! Always made a big mess. Until I learned how important prepping is. It's tedious, time-consuming and boring but absolutely necessary. For me the most important lesson I've learned is TO BE PATIENT! For a person who is not patient that was hard to do. Until I decided to force my impatient self to STOP PAINTING as soon as I started feeling tired! Now I take little breaks then go back to patiently painting. It's worked wonders! Don't hate painting anymore and my projects come out great!
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 17, 2017
    I love the idea of taking breaks! I lose patience so fast and I feel like I do my best work at the beginning. Thanks!

• Carmen Carmen on Feb 17, 2017
    It was one of those "Duh!" moments for me. Put the brush down as soon as you start feeling tired, impatient or bored! Duh? Right?

• William William on Feb 17, 2017
    I agree prepping is the key! Patience is the virtue to do the job correctly. Working slow will accomplish the job to perfection. Get all your materials together in one location. Look at your equipment to see if your missed something, extra dropcloths, rags for wiping, more than one brush, etc. I always play my music with any job. Don't rush the job. Take a break when you feel the need. Don't push yourself. Your mind may say yes, your body says no. Listen to your body.

• Sandra Crosbie Sandra Crosbie on Feb 18, 2017
    I now agree too. I learnt a lesson the hard way. I was painting the ceiling in my friends house, I hadn't brought my ladder with me. She suggested I use her one. She had literally just had a new fire surround installed the day before. I always make sure I cover everything up in case of splashes, well I climbed up my friends ladder, she had gone out to get some groceries. I climbed and put the paint pot on the top platform. I noticed the ladder had a little limp. Hmmmm, maybe I should have done something to rectify the limp instead of saying Hmmmm!! I reached up to paint the ceiling and as if in slow motion I could feel the ladder going one way the paint pot going another way and me in neither of those directions. I hit the floor with a thump. Then I looked up the paint was dribbling down the wall , the TV, which I had thankfully covered. The new fireplace took the brunt of the impact. Nooooo was all I could say, I jumped up and began trying to sort out the beautiful new mahogany fireplace, " which she didn't want white, " I ran around the room wishing I was an octopus , only because I needed more than two hands. Thank God I managed to get the room looking normal before she came home. When she did and I told her about my catastrophe she just laughed and said Oh yea I meant to tell you the ladder wobbles.
    So my prep now is ensuring any ladder or tools I'm using are safe and reliable.
    I did go get my ladder and finished the ceiling I also had to paint the walls because waterfall effect isn't or even in the nineties wasn't a desirable paint effect. I also make sure I've everything covered before I paint. 🎨

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 20, 2017
    Patience is a hard one for me, but you're 100% right!!!

• Carol Carol on Feb 20, 2017
    I find if I do all the taping and prep work on one day and then start fresh painting the next I have a much better attitude. And you are all right PATIENCE is the key to painting. Music helps and something to drink (don't recommend alcoholic beverages!) keep hydrated. And, buy good paint--I learned that the hard way.