Gorgeous Spring Wall Decoration - a Bunny Head

Whenever I go into Anthropologie I swoon over all their lovely homeware. Unfortunately, most of it is out of my price range.Last week, however, I spotted these lovely bunny heads on the wall in the shop and thought I bet I could make those myself.Well, here is my step by step tutorial for making a lovely spring bunny for your wall.
The key to making these animal heads is using a fine wire mesh (crafters chicken wire). This stuff is amazing it can easily be cut, molded, and shaped. Click here to see the one I used
I shaped my wire mesh into 4 pieces the neck, head, and ears. I then stuck these together.
I then paper mache over the frame. I used newspaper cut into small strips and a mixture 50/50 water/white glue.
As the bunny head is designed to be hung on the wall it won't stand up very well. Therefore I place my wireframe head over a bottle to keep it upright whilst I paper mache.
I applied 2 layers of newspaper.
To smooth out my bunny head and to ensure the newspaper print didn't show through I painted the whole head with gesso. This is optional.
I had found some gorgeous floral wrapping paper for my last layer of paper mache. I wanted a more feathered edge with the final layer so tore my gift wrap rather than cut it.
To ensure that I had flowers for eyes that is where I started with my gift wrap paper mache layer.
When the whole bunny head was covered in the floral paper, I applied a layer of Mod Podge to seal and protect it.
There are more detailed instructions on the blog link at the end.
You can use the same method to make any animal head you want. Also you can use fabric for your last layer. You might want to check out my popular fabric stags head I made before.

Claire at Pillarboxblue