DIY Indoor Outdoor Concrete Lamp

Every since I made the first set of concrete lamps, I have been asked to produce another. This time it had to be easier to make, had to be larger, and with the option of placing it outdoors. After brainstorming here is the attempt of improvement. Check out the video for more details.

Check out the video for more details.

I took a piece of foam from a shipping package. Cut it to create a cylinder. I closed it by taping the side. Then cut out a circle to close off one end. A paper cup would work as well.

I used a piece  metal flashing to create the concrete form.
First I marked the metal flashing for the bottom of the form, I made this 5 inches tall. Next, I marked 2 inches above the first line. At this point, you will have two parallel line.

Now wrap the metal flashing around the vase. Close the flashing by taping the loose end. By the way, I'm using a large vase that's 24 inches tall by 7 inches. You can find that at your local craft store.

Next, I took two 1 inch rubber seal and follow the line going around the interior. Following the line I drew out. I did this twice which gave me a two-inch path around the interior of the flashing. This part will shrink the interior, which will make the concrete fit right over.

Take a piece of aluminum foil, place it down on a flat surface. Then I trace the vase and then the foam cup as shown. Use hot glue to secure the cup then the flashing to the marking.

Mix concrete and pour it in the form.

After a few days remove the flashing and rubber seal. The bottom was smooth so I only had to sand the top.

I took a tree branch and sprayed it with black paint. Allow enough time to dry. 

Depending on the size of tree branch you chose, use the appropriate size masonry bit. I use a 1/2 inch bit to drill down to the bottom into the foam cup. Test that everything fits nicely.

Drill a hole in the lower part of the concrete form for the power end to pass through. Next, use hot glue to hold the plug in place.
Pass the Led String light power end down through top then connect to the power cable.

Feed a few feet of the led into the vase. Then place the branch in the vase and feed more led as you proceed.
Now sit the vase on top of the concrete. 

I placed a felts pad on the bottom to protect any surface.

I love the way this lamp came out. The LED String Lights works extremely well. I was able to get this lamp to work approximately 50 feet away. Hope you have a blast when you make yours.

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make

• Kitty

Soooo pretty! Two questions though. How did you get the lights to stick to the glass and are they b/o?
    • Lisa Fox

they are just sitting in there! let go where ever they land! tiny lights and they are awesome! no glue

• Car19035551

I watched the video, I'm confused when the cement dried you took out the bottom of the small Styrofoam. So does that opening stay on the bottom? If so then where is the smaller ledge end up? You have it on the top to set the glass on. I will watch again to see what I missed but like I said I'm confused. Love the idea though!
    • Lisa Fox

yes, bottom open, where he glue felt on the opening part of the bottom! top part where he glue the foam to the foam cup! remember he drill the hole thru top cement to put tree branch thru it! purpose doing this! hope this helps?

• Cis Wineinger

Instead of using the metal flashing could a piece of stove pipe be used?