DIY lessons learned from fails: what are yours?!

+2
Things I already knew (know):
1) always make sure the ladder is stable and solid. I broke my leg because I took a chance because I was only going to be on it for a quick second.
2) take your time. Rushing causes mistakes.
3) if a project is frustrating you, put it aside. An hour or day will let you start fresh.
4) if you mess up on a project, don't panic or get upset. Salvaging mistakes often turns out better than what was intended.
5) don't hesitate to asks questions or pick someone else's brain. Learn from others' experiences. Most people like to be asked and are glad to share.

Don't know if this is what you wanted, but this is what I got.

P.S. Don't put your finger in your mouth after burning it with hot glue! 😂

• William William on Feb 18, 2017
    Lots of super great tips! Last year I was putting on gutter shield. Ladder wasn't that stable. Figured my weight would stabilize it. It tipped over and I ended up hanging from the gutter with one hand. Jumped down eight feet. When a project isn't going right for me, I take a break, have a cup of coffee. Then when I go back to it a light bulb lights and the problem gets solved. There is no such thing as a dumb question. It's the dummy that doesn't ask. Panic? We don't need no Panic! We make it work....and better! Never burned my finger, but I'll remember

• Lynn Lynn on Feb 18, 2017
    My fail was that I was up on a ladder, painting that ONE LAST part of the upper corner of a wall by the ceiling. Stood on tiptoe to reach it. Next thing I know, Im falling off the ladder; my foot caught on part of it on the way down. The whole shebang hit the floor, me included.

I also made the mistake of going up on the ladder with the whole painting tray instead of the usual clean glass jar with a little paint in it. It threw my whole balance off with the paint tray.

So my tip is, DONT be on tiptoe on a ladder. Better a small part of the wall with no paint, than being on your back for 3 days because you twisted your ankle!

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Feb 19, 2017
    Never stand on the very top of the ladder. Look down when coming down a ladder, you may not be on the lowest step. Mom stepped off wrong step. Next day she got up from table and ended in floor with broken hip. The misstep jarred her leg enough to cause hairline fracture that later broke. At 70 she should not have been up there but....she never listened.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 20, 2017
    I always want to rush through, my patience is my biggest problem ( which is ironic because my last name literally translates to patience) But, you're right!