Lesson leraned the HARD way: Marvellous Revelation Discovered...

+8
Mother of five sons money always tight , D.I. Y. projects saved my sanity. But not this cold winter morning when during Christmas break the boys and I decided to create a decoupage of all the old extra photos I take of their everyday life. We were choosing which ones what son wanted for their craft, some chose boxes to cover some wanted to frame theirs. All set about to embark on laying out all the chosen photos, all cut & trimmed to specifications. When our cat brings in the back doggie door, a wild bird it had caught, however; as we turn to gasp the bird snaps out of it gets free flying around our heads as our two large Mastiffs go bonkers. While in the midst of our project no one notices that the Elmer's Glue got spilled all down and over entire kitchen table. By the time the six of us were able to save the stunned bird, contained our disappointed cat, & settled our 2 Rambunctious Mastiffs, our preconceived craft had completed itself. The photos were scattered haphazardly all over the entire table. But that is the lesson we learned the HARD way. The glue had already begun to set when we got back to the project at hand. We could not lift or move any of the photos whatsoever due to the degree of the glue that had started to set. Some cried, some laughed, others helped me clean up the dripping glue off the carpets, and the poor dogs were covered in Elmer's also. But It was without a doubt, the most heart racing funniest FIASCO, young motherhood had presented thus far, our family wound up with the most talked about unique treasure. We decided to keep it just the way it was, for we all knew the creation could never be reenacted and the event in and of itself will stay for ever in our cherished memories. End result hubby covered carefully the entire table in thick layers of clear acrylic paint. There has never once been a dull moment, afterwards sitting at that table. It now sits in each grown sons home for it (?"accidently?") had gotten broken when they were home from college one year, so we gave each a cut up section to hold and cherish as a keepsake from childhood.
Suzette Trimmer
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 18, 2017
    LOL! Thank you for sharing this! I love your attitude :)

• This is an awesome story! Anyone with kids and pets, things are bound to happen. Your go with the flow attitude turned this out to be a cherished family memory and I bet you have many more just like this. Thanks for sharing.

• Sherrie Slaboda Sherrie Slaboda on Feb 18, 2017
    Your post made me get a happy smile. Thank you.

• Marquetta Marquetta on Feb 19, 2017
    I just here smiling so big reading this. I have three boys grown now with families of their own. And we share so many memories when we are together. Your carefree attitude is awesome. I could just picture this in my head. Your an amazing mom. Thanks for sharin.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 20, 2017
    Oh my gosh!!! Sounds like a positive, happy family ( being one of 6, I can appreciate the chaos and creativity!!)

• Teresa Teresa on Feb 20, 2017
    Your post brought back some wonderful memories of crafting with my 6 sons and the craziness that can happen when you add dogs and cats to the mix. Thank you for sharing. You made me smile!

• Linda Abate Linda Abate on Feb 20, 2017
    This is a wonderful idea. Not only is it a fun project, but a great way to see how the family has grown up. A wonderful gift when they leave home for school or move out on their own. A great gift for grandparents as well.

• Jeannie Carle Jeannie Carle on Feb 21, 2017
    Absolutely wonderful story!!! I raised 2 boys on my own, and believe me, there were times LOL!! But - would SO love to see a photo of at least one of the tables!!!