Painted Brick Fireplace

This DIY makeover is a small expense for a HUGE change in updating this living room!

This fireplace is modern, light and airy. But it didn't always look like this...

Before this brick fireplace was very dated. Just look at the brass and its darkness.  My client wanted to tone down the brick color without painting it solid to “look painted”.   And I was happy to help with this transformation.

First, she removed the brass fireplace doors since my client wasn't going to actually use the fireplace for fires. But you could always paint the brass trim. (Search my blog for how to do this easily!) She painted the cubbies in her trim color.

We cleaned the brick with an amazing cleaner that is great for taking years of dust, soot and buildup off brick or cabinets! We used my favorite off-white chalktype paint, which both products you can find in my full blog, .

We literally dipped and rubbed the paint over the brick and used a brush to paint the grout.  It doesn’t matter which you do first by the way….. the grout or the brick.  It’s not a perfect process so just start! Keep in mind you can always start with less paint and go heavier later if you want!

Super easy! And here is a closeup just so you can see our beautiful coverage.
And there is no need for a topcoat because the this type of paint dries down matted just like brick. You don’t want it shiny!

Isn't it gorgeous now? So Modern. So Fresh.
If you loved this DIY makeover project, click the link below to see more a few more tricks to painting this and subscribe to my blog while you're there. I have more fireplace makeovers on my blog too!
Thanks for stopping by!

• Sponge
  • Rag
  • Paint

Jennifer Allwood

• Teri Mills

Can you use this method on outside brick? I hate the color of our brick, but beloved won't let me paint. This might be a happy medium.

• Julie M.

Go to your local paint store and inquire about masonry paint.....

• Com17074780

Where did you buy the cleaner and what is the name of it? Thanks
    • Ida9464

reread it! She tells you where to go to find out the products and more details.

• Doreena

I can’t find the blog to see the name of the cleaner and the paint. I even clicked on all the places that told me it would take me to her blog. It takes me to her web page. I click on blogs and there’s nothing there about brick painting.

• Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

Nice!

• Ida9464

This looks great! I appreciate the extreme closeups which almost no one shows🤔 this is exactly how I would want mine if I had brick, to look. Here’s why: I grew up in a house built in 1962. The brick fireplace looked almost identical to your after picture, which you call modern and is mid century modern. Love it! Thank you so much!