Why Do I DIY? Because Prices Are so High!

When was the last time that you saw something in the store or catalog that you just HAD to have….until you saw the price tag? And instead, you made your own version? - I do that all the time. - examples; - a teardrop camping trailer - the prices of factory made ones are way over priced (8 to 10 thousand dollars, or more) - I made my own for less than 500 dollars. 9 pole Fishing pole racks way over priced 60 to 80 dollars, I made my own for less than 15 dollars, craft items and crafting tools for my wife, way over priced . I can usually build them for nothing except my labor or the price of the materials. I can name loads of others I have saved money by building them myself if I needed to. I refuse to pay other people the high prices they are insisting that they want for an item.
  • William William on Feb 19, 2017
    Retail markup is usually 500%. They have a lot of overhead. I have always copied and made things I saw and wanted myself. As a woodworker for 30+ years, i had clients give me pictures of things they wanted and I had no problem duplicating them at a lower cost. And I made them out of wood rather than particle board, chip board, or MDF.

• See 1 previous
    • A A on Feb 23, 2017
      Wood  ; MDF

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 20, 2017
    I'm so inspired by you, I try to DIY instead of buy as well, but I get intimidated by big projects. How do you get the confidence?

• Danny Henderson Danny Henderson on Feb 20, 2017
      There is really nothing to it. (1) Have, or see the idea. (2) Take a good look at the subject you want to duplicate and have a picture of it, (or it itself), to constantly refer back to for details (3) Pay attention to all the small details, and the overall whole thing will fall into place (4) Tackle it, nothing tried, nothing gained. - The three biggest is factors are (5) Practice, Practice, Practice, as practice makes perfect - ( 6) Patience, as Patience is virtue - The biggest factor of all (7) Never Give Up, - If at first you don't succeed, try and try again, until you get it right. - All the fancy tools, and instructors in the world won't help, if you give up, and not practice - As "Experience" is the best teacher. As you gain experience, it won't be long before you become as good as the people you admire. - One last piece of advice to remember, and probably the best - All of us were just like you in the beginning , and in the same boat as you are when we started - We couldn't do it right either. - May you have "Good Luck" in your future "DIY" projects.

• Carolyn Meuer-Pickering Carolyn Meuer-Pickering on Feb 20, 2017
    I like to DIY because if gives me satisfaction to know that I created something with my own two hands. I am not an 'original' designer type, but I use ideas from others for inspiration and add my own creative touches.