What DIY projects do you do with your kids/grandkids?

+29
I've been trying to do more projects with my older son - pictured below, the World's Cutest Hometalker! - so far, he really likes painting wooden trinkets. What else can I try with him? He's 5. Thanks, Hometalkers!
q what diy projects do you do with your kids grandkids, pallet
  • Simha Markezana Simha Markezana on Feb 20, 2017
    So cute
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 20, 2017
    He is a hundred types of adorable! Check out Chas' projects, she has really creative craft ideas that are very family-oriented http://www.hometalk.com/chas6
  • Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Feb 20, 2017
    Hi Cori, super cute picture! How to share just a few ideas... love this stuff. When my kids were 5 here are some of the things I used...

Book - The Complete Book of Arts & Crafts ages 5-9 (American Education Publishing )

Book - Great Big Holiday Celebrations by Warren Publishing House, Inc. (This one is great because it has themes of crafts, songs, games, food, etc.)

I used the library for great crafting books for kids.

The internet is an amazing source.

Family Fun books by Disney are fantastic.

I literally have a Google Drive folder called Craft Notebook. It's all crafts, games, themes, ideas for kids. I can share it with you if you like.
    • See 1 previous
      Yay!!! Hope you like the books. I have weeded in and out crafts through my digital notebook but I'm sure there is some stuff in there you'd be able to use. I'm off to work now but I'll send it to you when I'm done.
  • Teresa Teresa on Feb 20, 2017
    My grandsons (4 and 9) loved when we made coasters. We used really inexpensive ceramic times and alcohol ink and then sprayed them with 3 coats of lacquer. They love that they are in their parents living room and are used all the time!
  • Fun! I have a granddaughter interested in growing plants. So here's a project we worked on together. (she's a little older than your son, so you may need to help a wee bit more, but still growing plants is fun at any age!) http://simpledecoratingtips.com/2016/01/13/miniature-fairy-garden/
    • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Feb 20, 2017
      This is awesome! My son is really interested in plants, actually. Thanks for this!
  • Gina Maylone Gina Maylone on Feb 21, 2017
    My studio has always been filled with stuff for my grandchildren to do pretty much anything they could come up with. Paper, scrap wood, beads, clay, pipe cleaners, string, buttons and of course paint! Lots and lots of paint! I usually let them use their imagination. A couple of years ago, I introduced granddaughter #1 to crayon art, she was about 10. I gathered loads of crayons from Goodwill, positioned them between 2 1" boards about 28" long, secured them with caulk. I also had some cool big black styrafoam boards from Goodwill, attached the crayons above one and let her melt away! It turned out so cool! And she loved doing it. I have another setup ready to go for the 9 year old, whenever she comes over. Have a 4 year old granddaughter who absolutely LOVES painting rocks and scrap wood. Sorry this is so long, they are my JOY.
    Here's something I just stumbled across on Pinterest. http://blog.hobbycraft.co.uk/53-astonishing-art-ideas-for-kids/

• Zest it Up Zest it Up on Feb 21, 2017
    So cute!! There are so many crafts you can do together! Below are a few we did with our kiddos:
    I hope you're feeling inspired! Can't wait to see what you two do together!
  • Candy Walsh Candy Walsh on Feb 21, 2017
    My grandson just turned one, but I can't wait for him to start coloring and cutting paper and making fun stuff with me, making as many memories as possible!!
  • Medina at Grillo Designs Medina at Grillo Designs on Feb 22, 2017
    Finger painting is fun!
  • Jan Diolosa Jan Diolosa on Feb 23, 2017
    This year I bought a bag of sea shells from Amazon and my grandson, age 6 loved painting them. We did it for Christmas ornaments and hung them on the tree.
  • Elizabeth Elizabeth on Mar 04, 2017
    I've been doing crafts with my grandson for a long time, and the one craft that seems to resonate with him right now is making cold porcelain and then shaping it into characters for my miniatures. He has made some pretty cool things with that homemade clay. It's artist quality, too, and believe me, kids know the difference between the kid's craft supplies and the "real" thing. They love the real supplies. (Cold porcelain is cheaper than store-bought clay, and making it is half the fun.)

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Mar 04, 2017
      I love the idea of cold porcelain, thank you! He has a ceramics class in school that he loves..
  • Ljm4961639 Ljm4961639 on Mar 09, 2017
    When my grandsons sleep over, we draw on white t shirts from the craft store with fabric markers or just grab a 6 pack of appropriate size undershirts from Walmart for about 6 dollars. Clip art a character or whatever they are into at the moment from a computer pic. Blow it up to an appropriate size to fit front of shirt. I find that the size that works is about the size of a sheet of copy paper. Use one that has strong black outlines. A coloring book page works as well. Slip a piece of cardboard between front and back of shirt. Place clip art page on top of the cardboard so you can see through. Draw the outline with black fabric marker. Let the kids do the final coloring in with the fabric markers. It helps to use binder clips or hold the fabric taut to the cardboard. They have made cars, a hamburger, a pizza pie, dinosaurs, cartoon characters, sports team logos,etc. They love them. Front and back can be drawn on. They wear them outside but mostly use for pajama tops. They have been doing this since they were around five and continue to enjoy this project several years later. Don't forget to have them sign and date the shirts at the bottom!!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Apr 20, 2017
    My nephew loves fingerpaint...the messier the better!