Upholstered Chair Makeover (twins)

I found these beautiful chairs for $5 each. Pretty fabric? [sarcasm]

I’ve REALLY wanted to do some upholstery lately and thought these would be a good project to get started with. I’ve never upholstered anything to this magnitude before (let alone 2 of them), more-so smaller chairs or slipcovers that I’ve sewn. Here we go…

I removed the top layer of fabric and found this delightful red underneath. At least the nice legs are still exposed.

I actually considered leaving them red, but the fabric is a little outdated and faded (and it wasn’t upholstery fabric). Plus, I knew it wasn’t the original fabric and my curiosity got the best of me…and I had to see what was underneath!

I used one of the layers I removed as my pattern for the new upholstery fabric.
Note: Keep what you removed as your pattern, and remember the order you removed it!

Rather than purchasing trim, I made my own (double-welting is what it’s called in upholstery terms). Here’s what it looks like.

And Ta-Da!!!!! I also made a nice little pillow to add a pop of color.

I love the way they turned out, so pretty, simple, clean and elegant!

If you'd like to see more pictures (BOTH THE CHAIRS SIDE BY SIDE), how I painted the chair frame, tips, more details, and steps from start to finish, please click the link below.

Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Creatively Living

• JaBro

Oh, my! Gorgeous! I have a theory similar chair that the cats have ripped apart. I’m going to tackle this project. Can you tell me how many yards of fabric you used?

• Kristen

Either this article is missing a section or I am supposed to know how to do the whole middle part which BTW is the redoing part on the chair itself. It says remove fabric, cut new fabric using it as a pattern, make cording.... then it skips to “ta da ... I made a pillow “ so can someone please explain how to sew the fabric on, how to attach the cord, etc.? It there a secret to getting it super tight like this one so it doesn’t look DYI. Thanks so much!

• Vic22156704

I upholster, and it is not as easy as she made it sound. Looks great and she was very lucky to find 2 matching chairs, but there's a lot more involved. Best not to cut the fabric to exactly fit the piece you took off. You need something to grab on to so that you will be able to stretch over the frame!

• Lisa Fauerbach

They’re gorgeous. I have chair envy😍😍😍