Upholstered Chair Makeover (twins)

I found these beautiful chairs for $5 each. Pretty fabric? [sarcasm]

upholstered chair makeover twins

I’ve REALLY wanted to do some upholstery lately and thought these would be a good project to get started with. I’ve never upholstered anything to this magnitude before (let alone 2 of them), more-so smaller chairs or slipcovers that I’ve sewn. Here we go…

upholstered chair makeover twins

I removed the top layer of fabric and found this delightful red underneath. At least the nice legs are still exposed.

upholstered chair makeover twins

I actually considered leaving them red, but the fabric is a little outdated and faded (and it wasn’t upholstery fabric). Plus, I knew it wasn’t the original fabric and my curiosity got the best of me…and I had to see what was underneath!

upholstered chair makeover twins

I used one of the layers I removed as my pattern for the new upholstery fabric.
Note: Keep what you removed as your pattern, and remember the order you removed it!

upholstered chair makeover twins

Rather than purchasing trim, I made my own (double-welting is what it’s called in upholstery terms). Here’s what it looks like.

upholstered chair makeover twins

And Ta-Da!!!!! I also made a nice little pillow to add a pop of color.

upholstered chair makeover twins

I love the way they turned out, so pretty, simple, clean and elegant!

If you'd like to see more pictures (BOTH THE CHAIRS SIDE BY SIDE), how I painted the chair frame, tips, more details, and steps from start to finish, please click the link below.

Creatively Living

• Sfl21082054

I want to spray paint my window roller blinds from brown to grey. Do you think it can be done????

• Creatively Living

Yes I do.....but it might take quite a bit of spray paint depending on how many blinds you have. Roller paint or fabric might be other options.

• Tws32746722

You can spray paint the blinds. I did , I hung mine on the outdoor closeline, washed and let air dry. Next I wanted a color for the inside but white for the outside view from the road. Spray painted the blinds bright yellow for my daughters room. When closed she had beautiful yellow but white from the outside view. Very easy

• Michelle Antoinette

Love love love it!!!! Great job!

Could you please give greater details on how you sewed the fabric unto the chairs please?

Thanks

• Barb C

Beautiful job, elegant. I couldn't seem to connect to your blog or link. Would you mind just telling what paint you used?

• Car32224702

how did you attach Welton

• Car32224702

need more detail on how you attached

fabric and welting

• Beth

Great project! Love the color of the wood. I have tried to click on the info for the instructions for the wood finish. Unfortunately I receive an error. Would you be so kind as to post the info of the supplies used in a response to me? Thank you

• Carol Cole

What was the material you used?

• BJ

I need to make arm covers for my wooden rocking chair, any easy ways???

• Kim

Post a picture of them, and we'll tell you how.

• Teresa Ann Ford

How in the world did you get those great chairs for 5.00

• Sem32465352

I found a beautiful Wing back in the trash. Gently remove the fabric and wash gently if necessary to make a pattern. Out nothing but the fabric, time and cording. It turns out beautiful.

• Creatively Living

If you wait long enough, the right deal with come up!

• Terry

How do you attach the cording? Love, love, love what you did with these gorgeous chairs. And the color of the pillow is great with it.

• Creatively Living

Hi Terry! The cording is glued on (hot glue gun), most professionals attach the trim this way...and it's definitely the easiest way!

• Glo16211447

How do you sew the cording onto the chair???

• JaBro

Oh, my! Gorgeous! I have a theory similar chair that the cats have ripped apart. I’m going to tackle this project. Can you tell me how many yards of fabric you used?

• Kristen

Either this article is missing a section or I am supposed to know how to do the whole middle part which BTW is the redoing part on the chair itself. It says remove fabric, cut new fabric using it as a pattern, make cording.... then it skips to “ta da ... I made a pillow “ so can someone please explain how to sew the fabric on, how to attach the cord, etc.? It there a secret to getting it super tight like this one so it doesn’t look DYI. Thanks so much!

• Wendy Stilwell Farricy

I am not sure of what she did. However usually you use staples or small fabric tacks. The cord will hide it. Look closely at the picture where she is removing the red material. You can see how the yellow material is held in place. You can sew the cord to the fabric before placing on chair. Hope this answers your question.

• Sandra Mee

Hit the link above to the blog. It goes into more detail.

• Vic22156704

I upholster, and it is not as easy as she made it sound. Looks great and she was very lucky to find 2 matching chairs, but there's a lot more involved. Best not to cut the fabric to exactly fit the piece you took off. You need something to grab on to so that you will be able to stretch over the frame!

• Lisa Fauerbach

They’re gorgeous. I have chair envy😍😍😍