DIY Essential Oil Dish Soap

$20

If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to go green in my home, and I'm excited for this project. I certainly don't want to eat off of my dishes with weird ingredients I can't pronounce, so I decided to make a natural dish soap. This stuff not only makes you feel better about washing your dishes, but smells good and it WORKS! This sudsy essential oil dish soap works great against grease and tough foods while also eliminating bacteria, and it can be customized to the scent you want! Talk about a win-win!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:
-Baking Soda
-Water
-Soap Dispenser
-Pure Castile Soap (Unscented)
-Vegetable Glycerin
-Tea Tree Oil
-Grapefruit Oil
-Health Guard Oil

To buy this adorable amber soap dispenser that I used, click here.

STEP 1: Pour 1 1/4 Cup Water into a bowl.

STEP 2: Pour 3/4 cup of pure-castile soap into the bowl with the water.

STEP 3: Pour 2 Tbsp. vegetable glycerin into the mix.

STEP 4: Dump a nice tsp. of baking soda into the bowl.

STEP 5: Drop about 6 drops of grapefruit oil in as well.
(This is where you can start to customize your soap a bit according to the scent you would like)

STEP 6: Though you can customize your oil scents for the soap, all should have a good health shield or on guard oil added to help eliminate bacteria. Add 4-6 drops of this.

STEP 7: To help eliminate grease add 4 drops of tea tree oil.

STEP 8: Mix your concoction up and you will start to see it sudsing up! Remove the pump from your soap dispenser and pour the mixture through a funnel into your soap bottle.

Now you are all ready to get some dishes done!

Don't you love this amber soap dispenser? You can buy it here.

Look at all those suds! I know initially getting all these ingredients can feel expensive compared to just grabbing a bottle of Palmolive or Dawn, but you barely use any of the ingredients for a pretty substantial batch and have loads left over for the future. You also have to consider all the great benefits of going green!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Cookieb

Maybe, but do you have a recipe for Dishwasher soap?

• Betty Davies

Where did you get your antique looking measuring spoons?

• Jesse

Is there one particular ingredient that makes the solution sudsier? (I.e. if one were to add more of this then the soap will have more suds). I find the soap loses its suds very quickly

• Jacquie Nicole

Tea tree oil is great- BUT NOT FOR PETS! Totally fine to wash our things, but do not use this to wash pet bowls or anything for your pets.

• Sue Rayfield

I was going to mention this too, as many of us have pets. Cats, especially, cannot tolerate essential oils, such as tea tree, lemon, grapefruit, and many many others.

• Crumly

Huh, I learned a lot from all the comments on this one. Thanks guys.