How to Build DIY Wood Crate Lockers

I've always loved the look of lockers, but have never been lucky enough to find a set that was in good condition and reasonably priced. The ones I am able to find are either the wrong size, too rusted or too expensive. So, I decided to improvise and make my own lockers using large wood crates.

Find the full step by step tutorial HERE!

I headed to Home Depot and picked up a few supplies, including three large wood crates to use as my base.

Before assembling the lockers I added a few coats of white paint to each crate.

I used scrap wood that we had around the house to make supports for the crates and attached everything with screws.

Once the three crates were stacked and screwed in place I finished them off with doors, metal numbers and a fun knob.

I could not be happier with how the crate lockers turned out. The best part is they are super functional and fairly inexpensive to build. My son has already claimed them for himself and uses them to store and organize all his favorite dirt bikes.

Visit my PROJECT GALLERY for even more thrifty decorating and DIY ideas!

Katie @ Little House of Four

• Pat

Where did you get the doors?

• Twila roberts

Could I make a set of two and put a small tabletop on them

• Janna Daniels

I want to turn my smaller bedroom into a linen closet. Is it possible with these crates? Or how can I do it.
    • Joanne Osuna

Actually, I just put them up to store fleece mats and pads for foster kittens in a manner that would probably work for you. I attached them horizontally to the wall with screws and large washers (to span the space between the slats), and stack my mats in them. Perfect size, low cost!
  • Gracefullikeagazelle

Your son uses the crates for his dirt bikes? This I gotta see
  • Jenni

Did you have to drill first for the screws?

• WENDY

you should always pre-drill before inserting screws or 90% of the time you will crack the wood
    • Jenni

Thank you, Wendy! I love this, but haven't done much woodworking.
  • Ann

Don’t you need to support the sides as well as the bottoms?
    • Jeri

They are already supported on 4 sides simply by their design. According to the instructions, they used 3 crates, so unless they intend to sit on them doubt the need for additonal support on the sides (..this is my opinion only..) I think this is a great idea especially adding the numbers. Other decorative design elements could be added to this basic project for a totally different look..such as different colors, letters etc.
    • Ann

Thanks. I didn’t think the side slats looked supported but they certainly look sturdy with a door.
  • Anthony

Does Home Depot charge for those crates or they are just discarding them and anyone can pick them up?
  • Beth

What is the next to the last picture showing? What is the red tool that is being used?
    • Marilee H

I checked the full instructions, and the hinges are just attached to the doors with glue, the tool is a clamp holding the hinge to the door while the glue dries.
    • Betty

Looks like a clamp to hold the hinge to the door while the glue dries. Her website explains the reason for the glue.
    • Gerald Bordelon

It's a bar clamp holding the hinge in place to free your hands up to insert the screws into the hinge
  • FrancieRunsLike A Duck

How do you store dirt bikes in a those crates as mentioned?
    • Tlw6933834

I would imagine that they are toy dirt bikes
    • Pal32397726

Dirt bike question....too funny!
    • PRWins

Logical question.

• Krazy K

• Yes logical question. And why clutter those nice shelfs with kids toy dirt bikes. When I read it I also said "What do you mean dirt bikes". Please explain to us "not as bright people 🙄" What your child uses it. Can we see a photo of that and not just this pretty one"
    • Lori Johnson

First thing I thought too. Then figured they must be toys and the son is a small child.
    • Annie russo

Who cares about the dirt bikes?! It's a super cute project!
    • KD Redlowske

I suspect she meant dirt bike supplies, i.e. helment, gloves, etc.
    • Diena Cameron

I agree with KD Redlowske, I'm thinking supplies for his dirt bike. Love this project, i was thinking it would be a great way to store all of our extra sodas, potato chips, paper plates, water, mixes for our bar, mayonnaise, ect. in our laundry room on our back porch. I have NO storage in our house, so i use the back porch for a temporary "pantry". It is pretty cold out there so not worried about spoilage but desperately need a way to hide and store !Several of these along our longer wall would be great and with the thicker wood in between would help support ! Thanks for the idea !!!

• FrancieRunsLike A Duck

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I wasn't even thinking kid's items - toys. I really do have a Pooh brain! Great project though! Kudos!

• Judykay

what did you use for the thick shelves at the top and between?
  • PRWins

Doors and hardware are not listed as items to purchase. Neither are the wood tops and bottoms. Are these supposed to be things you have lying around the house?
    • Alison Crosby

*used scrap wood that we had around the house to make supports for the crates and attached everything with screws.
    • PRWins

I live in a 1,500 sf condo. I don't have a basement or an attic. I don't have scrap wood lying around the house.... don't have much of anything lying around the house. Everything must serve a purpose. That's why I'm interested in storage. My bad. (I'd seen the comment. That's why I asked the question.)
  • Lori Johnson

Do you need to use weather proof paint for outside, or are they only meant for indoor use?
    • Cyn27563097

If you use them outside, I would only put them on covered porch or in garage- but use outside paint!!! For inside, jus regular paint.
  • Pat8773716

Where did you buy the tool used to attach the hinges?

• Lisa Sinclair

What a drill and a screwdriver??
    • Deanne Saab

What wasn't mentioned here are the little black clamps holding the door steady - plus the screwdriver.

• Margaret

I was puzzled as well by what appears to be some funky kind of tool, but she says at her website, which has additional pictures, is "... opted to use wood glue to attach the hinges to the door. Small clamps held everything together until the glue was dry." So I think the funky tool is some kind of spring clamp.
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

They are called Trigger or Clutch clamps and you can find them at any hardware store or big box store that has a large enough tool section This is a link to one style. they have cheaper brands too just look at Lowes or Home depot websites.
  • Kathy Sedmak

What did you use for the shelf and how did you attach?
    • Zoe Emiko

If you scroll back to the top of the article she says she offers a full tutorial and there is a click HERE available. Click on that. She tells in the tutorial what she uses for the shelves and how she attaches them.
    • Kevin Kimminau

You can use a simple wood glue

• Dianna Blumricl

What size are these? Thanks

• Christina O

Would have liked to see them all stacked. Where did u put these?

• Monica G

But you didn't say where to get the crates you have displayed here? Or I didn't see it.

• Mary

Hello what type of paint, like satin or

Stain works best?

• Liz

Where did you find the door?

• Ashley

It looks like she just made one to fit. You can get a thin board and have then cut it to size at Home Depot, add the hinges and a knob!

• Kim

Cool idea

• Tracey

I love this❤

• GL Cruz

Can i use plastic crates

• Andrea

I want to know too, I have some awesome Coca Cola crates

• Kimberly Enloe

I want to see the ones with the dirt bikes stored. I need that!

• Jason Abraham

Where did you get the doors?

• Sheila Penney

Definitely inspired! Question? Is there any significance to tbe numbers on the lockers?

• Julie Moyna

Most lockers have numbers, like when we were in high school...like gym lockers I assume ☺️

• Boots

What was that tool used to make spare between top of door and the added piece of wood?

• Boots

What was the tool used to make the space between the door and the piece of extra wood on top of the crate.?

• Linda

I'm looking for things to do with create for my for my home for Christmas can someone please help thank you

• Michelle

How crafty are you? I would put wagon wheels and a handle on it. Paint it bright red. Fill it with festive boxes.

• Diane Granillo

How to make a butcher block cutting board