A story about picture frames..

+4
Mother had a friend who could recycle anything into anything and it always looked great and expensive.

Sitting in her living room, she and Mother had a serious discussion going, noticed her pretty wood work and trim. Really started paying attention. She had frames inside of frames inside of frames. There were 3 huge frames over her sofa. Then there were little bitty ones in a design inside of another. Inside of another. All different types and styles. She said she laid a large frame on the floor then played around with shapes and sizes until she hit on a design she liked. Then she finished them to either match or look good together. I thought at first I was looking at trim. You used to see these beautiful trim designs in halls or dining rooms. Hers weren't trim, they were frames. From yard sales, trash cans, I've been collecting since I saw hers. There are some really unique ones and a really cheap way to "trim" the dining room. And hanging from the joists in the basement I can see what I have and they don't take up much space at all.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 21, 2017
    That's so awesome, I'm tempted to start collecting myself!

• Ann Marie Ann Marie on Feb 21, 2017
    I would love to see a pic of her design. Sounds interesting !

• Shoshana Shoshana on Feb 22, 2017
    That is so creative! I love that you can find the greatest treasures at yard sales if you're just willing to think a bit outside the box...or frame

• Joanie Joanie on Feb 22, 2017
    I would like to know a few of her tips and see pictures, since she has me inspired on a new project, which I am loaded with wooden frames of all kinds and etc, frames. Grazie!

• Jody Jody on Feb 22, 2017
    I have no way of getting pictures any more. If you look at pictures of houses in the 1800's or rooms with lots of trim or moldings you get the idea.

She said she would take a large frame and lay it on the floor. Then she put smaller ones inside and played with the design until she got a combination she liked. They might be one inside the other inside the other inside the other. It might be a tictactoe like design.

I saw her pull a string in the hall- a 20' long bare wall. She started collecting frames of various sizes lined up at the bottom edge of the frames on that line. Then she started filling in above those frames. I wish I had pictures. I can just encourage you to pick a spot and play with them.

There some hangers- don't know the name, just saw them on a diy type tv show. They attach to the back of your picture. They have little teeth. You choose your location and push the picture onto the wall. Like Sheetrock. When you remove your picture they leave tiny holes like little straight pins.

They were advertised as allowing you to placd your pictures or mirrors exactly exactly where you wanted. Not having to guess where the hangers are, sheet the nails should go, etc.

I know she used nails. We've come a long way since then. That tape that pulls off the wall without marring paint seems to be double sided and might be perfect. Never used it. My grand daughter swears by it- college dorm.

I only mention the hangers because they allow you to fiddle with your design if you change change your mind. If you love your design, construction adhesive is great. But fairly permanent.

Hope this helps. Maybe this will rescue some frames from the landfill. It can really be elegant- depending on designs and color- and really cheap if you keep an eye out.

I spent 2 years in the masters program in architecture many years ago. The rule was always you could never- except for actual plumbing and electrical- use a product for its intended use. Talk about thinking outside the box or frame. Does this answer some questions? So sorry about no pictures.

• See 1 previous
    • Jody Jody on Feb 24, 2017
      My brother and sil had the opportunity to visit several coastal towns in Italy. They babbled about the mosaics. They collected tiles and dinner plates with floral designs. Broke everything then glued to their concrete patio. Grouted and framed in a beautiful porcelain tile edging that looked sorta twisted. In a gorgeous dark teal blue that brought out the colors in their mosaic dresign. Like you said, just beautiful.

I'm so enjoying these ideas.