Laundry Basket Station

$25

Doing laundry is already such a hassle, and tripping over those laundry baskets filled with clothes doesn't make it any more enjoyable. To make things a little easier, I transformed an old bookshelf into a laundry basket station. Hello, organization!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Get all the Materials here:

My old boring bookshelf. I'm so glad I had this lying around and out-of-use. but if you need to purchase one, this one on Amazon is similar in size.

Step 1: Remove Shelves and hardware from bookshelf frame.

Step 2: Measure & mark the first level.

Measure the height of your laundry basket. You need to leave about 3" from the top of the frame to allow your hand to reach in without issue. Mark this point on your bookshelf frame. Mark the same spot (3" down) on the left side of the frame. Make sure both markings are aligned and level with eachother.

Step 3: Measure & mark the second level.

Once you know the height of your laundry basket add 3" (for your hand). Measure this amount downwards, starting at the first mark you made in step 2. Repeat on the other other side of the frame. Make sure both markings are aligned and level with eachother.

Step 4: Glue your dowels.

Your four wood dowels should be cut to the same depth of your bookshelf frame. I used a simple hack saw to cut mine. Using a hot glue gun, apply a strip of glue to your first wood dowel. You can also use proper wood glue if it will adhere to the material your bookshelf is made out of.

Step 5: Apply your dowels.

Glue each dowel to the first-level markings you drew on your frame. Ensure the dowels are level with eachother on both the right and left side of the frame.

Step 5: Apply your dowels (again).

Glue each dowel to the second-level markings you drew on your frame. Ensure the dowels are level with eachother on both the right and left side of the frame.

Step 6: Paint your frame.

This step is optional, but I painted it a pretty blue color from BEHR paint called 'Tahoe Blue' to match our laundry room decor. Let dry thoroughly overnight.

Step 7: Insert Laundry Baskets.

One at a time, slide your laundry baskets (I love these Sterilite ones) along the wood dowels inside the frame. They should hang snugly off these pieces. I chose to place labels on each bin for extra organization.

There you have it! The finished product in all of it's laundry glory. Place your own laundry and stain removal essentials along the top shelf. If you have extra room along the bottom, you can place baskets underneath for extra organization. This station can also be made taller to hold even more laundry baskets! All you need is a taller bookshelf.

FROM THIS ---> TO THIS! Magical.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Bobbie

What did you use to stabilize it to keep it from collapsing ?

• Cathy Waterstradt

This says material is a bookcase so why not just keep the back on it to stabilize it. And the glue on the braces to hold the baskets wont hold them long. You will need more than glue to hold a basket full of clothes. I think there are several steps here that are missing. In the video you could see how much it would sway when moving the empty baskets.

• Bobbie

• Paul Lorentz

Agree with those talking about cross supports. Also, I don't think the glued on dowels will hold past the first fill. Why not leave the shelves and adjust them to set the baskets on?

• Patti

after gluing the dowels, put a screw on each end of the dowel or screw the shelves in by screwing from the outside. This will also stabilize the unit

• Tina Bridges

Yes looking forward to doing it. But I will do 4 baskets.

Work clothes, whites, jeans and colors