How can I get rid of mold in my garage?

+8
Answered
How can I fix it myself? I can't afford $10, 000 like AFS quoted to fix it . Please help! Thank you!
  9 answers
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 22, 2017
    You can spray it with Bleach to kill it, but also make sure that you get rid of the cause or it will come back. Good luck!
  • Kathy Porterfield Kathy Porterfield on Feb 25, 2017
    I agree, use bleach to kill it but find where the moisture is coming from and fix that first. Check the outside walls of the garage, the drainage might be towards the house and you need to add more soil to cause the rain/snow to drain away. If you cannot do that then dig a ditch next to the foundation and install a French drain which takes the water away from the house.
    • See 1 previous
    • FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on Mar 02, 2017
      bleach is dangerous to breathe. Lowe's carries a product that will kill it 100 percent and is not toxic to humans or pets. Do you actually like the smell of Clorox? It will burn your lungs.

  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Feb 25, 2017
    IF it's black mold, DON'T touch it, call several professionals. Just like Big Mike says "Fix it Right the first time!" So, locate the source of the problem, fix that, then concentrate on properly cleaning the inside. Best of luck.
  • PattyKay PattyKay on Feb 26, 2017
    After you get rid of it, you might want to run a dehumidifier in your garage, especially in the summer.
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 28, 2017
    there are several types of " black mold" some people are allergic to them others are not. to really get rid of the mold, you need to deprive it of food and water. i've found that vinegar-the white cleaning stuff and water in equal proportions did best. spray on gets the spore out of the air, keep area wet for at least 30 min. clean it up. then scrub the floors. your cleaner of choice. this will remove any thing the mold calls lunch.

    50's fixer no2 had dogs housed in the basement. the renters let them poop and pee in the basement as apposed to taking them out side. lots of lunch for mold.

    most molds do not like sunshine or fake sunshine. the neighbors wonder why there are lights on at night- daylight spectrum bulbs are in my basement fixtures and they stay on at all times.
  • Lyn Buerger Lyn Buerger on Mar 01, 2017
    Be sure to be careful if it is black mold. That can cause permanent brain damage and not to be taken lightly. As others have said, bleach, strong sunlight, dry humidity, no leaks of water of food sources. Be careful.
  • FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on Mar 02, 2017
    stay away from bleach Black mold is dangerous to breathe. Mask important. or call a professional.
  • DSapone DSapone on Mar 07, 2017
    Clean your garage with H2O2 – one of the most powerful cleaners, soaking deep into the surface to eliminate the mold and mildew. for more visit : https://goo.gl/nwMIsF .
  • Claude Claude on Mar 13, 2017
    Stop now! Seal up the windows and buy an oxgenator costs about $300 max. You run it for a couple of hours and you are done. It changes the air into chlorine gas..so no pets or living things can be in there when you run it. Then find your leak and fix it.