Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Wood Conditioner

$10

I have a major penchant for wooden utensils in my kitchen.
I just love how earthy they feel. They almost seem to be connected with folklore in my mind. Picking up a wooden spoon makes me feel connected to my ancestry as a cook. Actually, one of my favorite things in my mother’s kitchen growing up was a wooden spoon! When my mother was a young thing in her 20’s, she and my father had traveled to
diy wood conditioner
Introducing Spoon Butter.

The recipe is simple:
1 part natural beeswax to 4 parts of sunflower oil (or any other neutral vegetable oil)
diy wood conditioner
Thanks to beeswax, this stuff smells SO amazing…and does such an awesome job and restoring and maintaining anything wooden that is food related!
diy wood conditioner
Simply add both ingredients to a glass bowl and pop in it into the microwave.  Once the beeswax has melted (it took mine just about 1 minute), pour the contents into a heat-safe container to cool.
diy wood conditioner
Leave it to cool, coming back to it intermittently to give it a stir.  You want the beeswax and sunflower oil to stay blended as it cools. 
diy wood conditioner
Once it turns a lovely opaque color, it is ready to use or to gift!
diy wood conditioner
Obviously this “spoon butter” can be used on your spoons, but once you see how gorgeous it makes them, you will be busting out every cutting board and wooden bowl you own!  I promise! Even wooden cabinets or wooden furniture can get a good lather of this stuff!
diy wood conditioner
Simply slather on a nice coat of the spoon butter and let it sit overnight.  In the morning, give your pieces a rub and they are done!  Gorgeous and smelling like honey!
diy wood conditioner
This is such an easy recipe and makes such a wonderful housewarming gift as well.  Make sure to “cook” up a good batch for you to keep and to share!

diy wood conditioner
Have fun turning your wooden utensils into heirlooms!
xoxo,
Chanda

• Natural Beeswax
  • Glass jar
  • Sunflower oil (or any other neutral vegetable oil)
Zest it Up

• Tina

I see you mention cabinets and outdoor furniture. What about dining table and chairs?

• Zest it Up

Great question!! I put mine in a cool cabinet and it's been there for over a year! It shouldn't expire since it's made with all natural products. If the oil you use is old then it will be rancid but even with my year old wood conditioner, I still haven't seen any negative effects on my wood cabinets!
  • Diana Jones-Cox

Would grapeseed oil work?

• Lani L. Misner

Would organic coconut oil work as well?😇

• Jennifer

I think that the main idea about using mineral oil is that it doesn't turn rancid. I use it on the cutting boards.
  • Rivashaa Ecodesign

Wood conditioner is a main thing to apply on cutting boards that we use everyday.