6 Steps to Make Your Own Beautiful Patchwork Tiles

$35

Patchwork tiles are very trendy this year, but retiling a bathroom can be an expensive and messy exercise. I really love patchwork tiles and decided to take the plunge and stamp my existing plain shower tiles to create a trendy black and white pattern.

YOU WILL NEED

• 15cmx15xm Tile stamp (you can get yours from  Homeology Shop)
  • Tile primer – I used A. Shak Tile Prime
  • Water-based paint, suitable for use in a bathroom – I used Plascon Polvin Matt Acrylic in black
  • Sponge rollers and pans – 1 for the primer and 1 for each paint colour

This is what my shower looked like: plain, simple and quite uninspiring. The metal content in our water on the farm is very high, so things that come into regular contact with water don’t stay white for very long. I didn’t have very high hopes for the white tiles, and figured I didn’t have much to lose by trying!

Step 1:

Use the sponge roller to apply primer to clean, dry tiles. For number of coats and curing time, follow the primer manufacturer’s instructions. We applied 3 layers of primer, allowing for each coat to dry before applying the next, and then let it cure for 24 hours.

Step 2:

Using undiluted paint, apply a thin layer of paint to the stamp.

Step 3:

Always test the print on a piece of paper first to see how much pressure you need to apply to get the desired look. Keep in mind that it is a hand-printing technique, so every print will look different. This is also great as a print for stairs!

TIP: You can use the test paper afterwards for gift wrap or make cards!

Step 4:

When you are happy with the print on paper, you can start to print on the tiles directly. Use one hand to carefully position the stamp and the other to apply pressure once it’s in place.

Continue until the tiles are done! Just goes to show, paint can really transform a home!

See the whole bathroom in the link below!

Homeology.co.za

• Yvonna

This paint holds up to shower after shower after shower n how do you clean it when doing your weekly shower clean n disinfect?

• Homeology.co.za

Hi Yvonna and Diane, if you used a good quality bathroom tile primer and sealer the pattern will hold up fine against cleaning products.

• Deborah k Russo

Can you do thAt to a t.v. shower that has no tile

• Homeology.co.za

Hi Deborah! Yes, you'll just have to buy a primer specifically for bathrooms as well as a paint..

• Margaret Howard

How well does it hold up to showers and cleaning products? What cleaning product can be used on it?

• Homeology.co.za

Hi Margaret,

If you use the correct primer and bathroom tile paint, you'll be able to clean the walls with your usual cleaning products. However, I think it's best if you avoid harsh products like bleach.