Throw Back Thursday: Season-friendly wall planter

+10
October 2016, I wanted black accents for the exterior of my home. I painted the exterior of my chimney and corner planter black. And then I made a black wall planter. I hang wooden letter words on it. An orange BOO for Halloween, a red NOEL for Christmas and a red LOVE for Valentines Day. I'm trying to pick the perfect word for St. Patricks Day.........in green of course. It has to be one word. I'd Welcome any suggestions for that one word. But back to the wall planter, I had a mini stroke a week before making this. It took me 2 long weeks to make it. My arm just was not strong enough. I had to do a little each day. I am very proud of my wall planter. In a few weeks I'll be making the same one for my back yard on the side of my unattached garage near my back patio. I love black against the exterior of my robin's egg blue home.

e throw back thursday

Chimney and corner planter. I wasn't sure what to plant in the corner planter. Then out of nowhere, greenery starting growing. It just kept growing inch by inch all down the planter. I love greenery! More so than flowers. I thought that was easy! (During Christmas I put faux poinsettia bouquets in the corner planter. Photo below.

e throw back thursday

My black wall planter. I have faux greenery and mini clear lights to illuminate it. Below is the BOO!

e throw back thursday

BOO! Loling! It looks so pretty from the street. And so bright! Below is the pumpkin face pattern. Then I made a black Pumpkin Face door for my Breezeway Entryway. The "wall planter and Pumpkin face door" were my first wood projects. I R so Proud! pumpkin face pattern below.

e throw back thursday

e throw back thursday

I (of course) duct taped mini orange lights on the back of it to get an orange glow. I wore an orange skull mask with black hood and fake long fingernails. I bloodied them up and handed out trick or treats through the pumpkin's mouth. I also used a fogger that sprayed through the pumpkin's mouth. I would hit the button just as the treaters were close. It was AWESOME! (I do one man haunts and are very effective). Photo of bloody fingernails below.

e throw back thursday

Bloody fingernails. I let nail polish drip and then dry.

e throw back thursday

Here he is! Perfect black accent. And again it looks beautiful from the street.

e throw back thursday

Besides my Baby Jason Voorhees on a tire swing (that's another story) this is my "favorite" Halloween decoration I've made by far.
  • Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 23, 2017
    So sorry! I couldn't find my photo of my poinsettias in the corner planter. I'll try and find it.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 23, 2017
    I LOVE your work!!! Thanks for sharing, you're making me want to walk down memory lane as well!!!

Oh Thank you so much Hillela! Oh the membreeeees! Loling!

• Melissa V Melissa V on Feb 24, 2017
    Melody-you are a clever one you are!!! When I was young my grandpa would come to our house and hook up an intercom to one of our jack-o-lanterns that we had on display on the wall in our driveway (With a candle in it of course πŸŽƒ). He hid out in my room and could see all of the costumes coming up the sidewalk and start calling out to a certain one....the kids were amazed at the seeing, talking pumpkin! What a hoot! Your ideas are just great fun too!

Now, about St Paddy's Day...how about just a big leprechaun hat, with the buckle. Or a 4 leaf shamrock, I think Erin go bragh is a bit long for your sign. Anyhoo, have fun and take care 😊

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 24, 2017
    Thank you Melissa, I'm liking your Grandpa!!!!! My parents back in the 1970's, for Halloween, my Dad built a tunnel with wood frames, black plastic and black lights, all the way down the sidewalk. Our sidewalk went all the way up to the , then all the way against the house to the driveway. Then continue a tunnel through the front door through the Dining Room and once you entered the living room....it was covered completely in black plastic. It was a big room. It was lit with a black light. In the Dining area tunnel, my brother and his friends would be on the other side of the plastic with their hands coming through trying to get the treaters. Neon settings along with my mother sitting on the other side of the living room wrapped in black wearing a witch's clear mask and long gray wig. She had a cauldron next to her with dry ice. I wish I had a video of it with the dry ice creeping along the floor. Once the treaters entered, she'd motion them with her finger......COME! Some treaters wouldn't make to my Mother. THIS is where I get my talents from. PLease see my other projects on Pinterest. Once you see our Childhood project with my Dad, which you won't believe, you'll understand where I get my inspiration from. Just search my name Melody Drinkwater Wagner. Lots of projects there. I'm working on my own Website right now. And Thanx for the St. Patty's ideas. Yes, I think I'll go with the a bright green 4 leaf shamrock. I'll post a photo when done.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Feb 26, 2017
    Spooky  Thanks for this throwback- I can tell you had a loooot of fun with this project!!

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 27, 2017
    Your Welcome and I absolutely did!

• Gladys Gladys on Feb 27, 2017

I agree with Melissa V. Either a big leprechaun hat, with the buckle or a shamrock,

• Cheryl Markus Reynolds Cheryl Markus Reynolds on Feb 27, 2017
    You could use the word LUCK or LUCKY in Green. For the U, make it a gold horseshoe. Put a shamrock on each end of the word.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Feb 28, 2017
    Cheryl nailed -- exactly what I was going to suggest - I'd leave off the Shamrocks -- if people can't figure it out ... .

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 28, 2017
    Oh that's a good one too! Thanks for your help!

• Angela Angela on Mar 02, 2017
    how about Lucky for St Patrick's day?

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Mar 02, 2017
    Yes, "Lucky" it is with a gold horseshoe as the "u". Thanks Cheryl and everyone! All of you are awesome! Everyone in my household is Irish but me! How funnnneee! Growing up our family did go to the St. Patricks Day Parade in Boston! (I remember those streets were soooooo steep) I'll post a photo after I hang it on my DIY black wall planter.