No Entryway? Here's How to Fake a Beautiful and Functional Entryway

No Entryway? Me too, until I decided to fake one. My project also features a hack for hiding an ugly electrical panel!
Here's the somber before image.  While I did have a five-foot wide wall to work with, my front door swings inward leaving me with a 30-inch wide nook for entryway furniture. I also had an eyesore electrical panel stuck on the wall. The sight of it was making me crazy.
First order of business was carving out the entryway. I used peel and stick vinyl wallpaper to get the job done. I love the fact that it's washable!
I was walking through my local IKEA when I spotted this red cabinet. I pulled out my tape measure and discovered it was big enough to cover my electrical panel. Even better, it cost $39.99!  Unfortunately, the cabinet's original depth was a bit unwieldy.  So I cut in half with a table saw--yeah, this small space, city dweller owns one.  I share how I didn't destroy the veneer on my blog (click the link at the end of this post!)
I also created a vestibule for privacy. Now when I open the door, no one in my building's shared hallway can see inside! You'll need a curved rod to steal this idea. Click on the link below to see what I used.
Ta-da! Now I have a real entryway!

So that you know, I only had a 30-inch wide slice of wall to use. I didn't need to install a coat rack because I have a tiny living room closet. What I really needed was storage for handbags, gloves, hats, keys, mail and my dog's stuff. I whipped up an entryway landing strip using two floating drawers. Check out my blog post for all of my decor tricks including where I got my fab waterproof entryway mat!
Deirdre Sullivan

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 10 questions

Comments

2 of 104 comments
  • Ethel Kirkpatrick Ethel Kirkpatrick on Apr 27, 2017
    Totally amazing! Love the box over the utility... very imaginative! And the little floating drawers are just wonderful!
  • Anne Anne on Aug 04, 2019

It looks beautiful, I have a door that opens rt into amy Liv rm, where door opens is a divider wall abt 8 x 6 I need lije ur wapapered wall, to put up in front of door, to put some wicker storage bins & in the coat hooks on the wall (if i can figure what to use to make a faux wall) , as it muddy raining or 7 mos of snow here in finger lakes, i just gotta figure what 2 use to build a sm wall as u walk in 4 a hall, my daughter has all the saws, i have 8 pallets that are new to frame top bottom but don't know what to use lije ur wallpaper Ed wall is what I need there, but abt 8x6 (small alcove, even, where do u get seal & from stick wallpaper to reasonable, also need to put over kitch cabs, flak board & and can't b painted, need samding unless I use Chalk paint, trying to make things look nice in 16x80 mobile home, as fighting CA, need to sell, so need to fix for as little as possible, constantly 8 mos of snow too here in western NY by finger lakes. I do have a porch to work w like next to entry steps for bench w cut outs & and put hooks tgere but it's unattached to mobike home, so if rains there's 2 inches between porch & and entry door & to gets wet, id need to put like a sm awning match brown shutters rt on outside of mobile home, & put hooks & under hooks build seat w square storage units 4 boots etc, im handy, late hub was carpenter any 1 have any ideas, email me at annemac50@gmail.comrest of place I replaced sheetrock, in many rooms, muddled, sanded, had a new pipes, hw heater, new subflooring hall laundry room bathroom w linoleum repainted need ideas cheap to help me sell to get outta here & to fl w my kids grandkids(grown) to go thru chemo w ithout being alone. Bedroom needs painting, hate paint, messy at that, so going to get that peel & seal 90ft x 3 ft rolls, of bboard saw, but for an12x16 room, don't know how many aq ft I need, I can do wallpaper ING good, at 66,thats what I learned frm my mom as a kid, I put up waterproof leftover flooring, in light grey as backsplash, looks great, I used 1 sheet barnwood paneling to put 3 ft up 1 wall in ea rm 4 an accent wall in ea rm & and I accidently painted the bathroom cool, was dk grren, had gal of light kinda turq green, i dropped a sponge I was goin to use for wipes, in gallon, didn't know what to do w soaked sponge, slipped, it hit the wall, made a neat swirl, so i used the sponge to swirl over the drk green in entire bathroom, i get so many compliments on it lol HELP w some inexpensive ideas please anyone

Next