Asked on Feb 24, 2017

How to remove moss from our roof ?

Jeannie WalkerDottie Bush McFarlandClaude
+17

There's mold on one end of roof, no overhanging limbs. Want to sell my house but as weather gets warmer moss get's greener. Can't buy new roof !!

Janet Pizaro

There is a product you can apply ,Wet and Forget available in Home Improvement stores.
    • Jeannie Walker
      Jeannie Walker

Thank you, I saw that on Google but did not see it was for roof. It mentioned siding, for mildew.I will look into it! Thank you for your reply.
  • Judy Ackerman
    Judy Ackerman

Google your question, you should find a formula for bleach and water that you spray on the moss and it will kill the moss for you.
  • Jeannie Walker
    Jeannie Walker

Thank you, I heard bleach can harm the shingles on the roof thank you, I heard bleach can harm the shingles on the roof ?
  • Mary
    Mary

the bleach and water is a good idea and probably the best. Use a pump up sprayer and clothes you don't want anymore and just know you will have to spray the whole roof it will brighten and clean, but you don't want one spot looking different

• Joan LeVasseur
    Joan LeVasseur

I have heard that in BC Canada where it rains a lot they have moss all over their roofs. They use some kind of zinc metal strips but it only works where there is abundant rainfall.
    Janet Pizaro

Do not use bleach
  • Jeannie Walker
    Jeannie Walker

Thank you for the reply,not enough rain here.
  • WilliamShreve
    WilliamShreve

I had a guy remove the mold from my North Carolina roof using a pressure washer he dialed down to "low" setting. It looked fantastic when he finished.
    • Jeannie Walker
      Jeannie Walker

Thank you sir ! I don't think that would be an option because mine is too steep where the moss is.
  • Paulette
    Paulette

Pressure washers have good range. Could be used from near the edge of the roof. But I would be more concerned about losing the grit from the shingles. How about a plant killer applied by a high pressure nozzle to fall like rain on the roof? I'm sure roofing companies get these kind of requests regularly. Make sure the rain gutters drain on pavement, so you don't kill your grass or plants.
  • Barbie
    Barbie

My husband applied powder Tide to the roof, kills the moss. Forgot about it till we had rain 2 months later & had bubbles all over the yard. Moss died & lots of laughter from the bubbles!
  • Jeannie Walker
    Jeannie Walker

I will look into a plant killer I can spray from ladder, just need to make sure it won't discolor shingles. Thank you for your suggestion!
  • Johnchip
    Johnchip

I like moss and natural growing things on a house. What is Downton Abby without its ivy walls? I would sell 'as is': "A charming home with character". Otherwise ask you realtor.
  • Doris
    Doris

Google "Wet and Forget" for a product you spray on moss and it will disappear as it gets rained on.
  • Jeannie Walker
    Jeannie Walker

Someone else suggested that as well and I'm going to get some this weekend and spray it on, thank you for your comment.
  • Claude
    Claude

Or just change the ph on that part of the roof. Don't use a power washer unless you know what you are doing. They send more homeowners to the ER than any other appliance.

• Jeannie Walker
    Jeannie Walker

and force water under shingles if having to do from ground like I would.
  • Dottie Bush McFarland
    Dottie Bush McFarland

I get "black mold" on my grey shingles every fall and winter. I lightly spray it with diluted pool chlorine. Kills it every time, the first time. Rinse with garden hose. Don't leave it sitting on the shingles. If you use too much chlorine it will kill your lawn around the downspouts. BTW - no haters comments, please. I already know this is not an eco-friendly solution but neither is buying five different "eco-friendly" solutions in plastic containers that don't work. Its all give and take.
  • Jeannie Walker
    Jeannie Walker

And you are absolutely correct I do appreciate the suggestion