Thrift Store Makeover: Hudson's Bay/Pendleton Edition

The iconic stripes of a Hudson's Bay blanket make for very classic decor- but those blankets are PRICEY! So, why not achieve the look for a lot less with some thrift store finds?

White ceramics- mugs, bowls, jars, vases, canisters and more- are a staple at thrift stores. And because they're plain, they're usually SUPER cheap! I decided to recreate the classic cabin/lodge look of Hudson's Bay by giving these pieces a little makeover.
I have a tote bag that is made from a repurposed Hudson's Bay blanket that had gotten moth-eaten, so I used it to color match some paint. I think I did pretty good!
To create those iconic Hudson's Bay stripes, I wrapped thin strips of painter's tape around each thrift store piece to act as stripe stencils.
Once I was satisfied with my tape stencils, I lightly stippled the paint in between the pieces of tape. I did two passes of each color to ensure each stripe was opaque and as clean as possible.

Aren't those lovely? And they perfectly match a $$$$ Hudson's Bay blanket, but for just a few quarters.

• White ceramics  (Thrift Store)
  • Paint  (Craft Store)

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Sadie Seasongoods

• Carmen
    Carmen

How did you get those lines to be so straight and perfect!

• Sadie Seasongoods
      Sadie Seasongoods

Hi, Carmen! My full tutorial (there are links throughout this post) gives better detail on how I did it. :)

• M
    M

you started out with all white items with blue stripes, right"? how did you get rid of the blue stripes so you could stipple on your stripes?

• Sadie Seasongoods
      Sadie Seasongoods

Hi, there! Nope, the items I bought were plain white. The blue stripes are tape that I used as stencils! All the details are in my full blog post- there are links to it throughout. :)

• Kay
    Kay

Hi, could the stripes be made using sharpie pens. If so, how would you seal them. Thanks in advance for your answer Kay Abelaide Australia

• Barbara
      Barbara

Sharpies used for ceramics are oil paint, not regular "permanent" Sharpies. I've only seen them in 5 colors, three of which are black, gold and silver - I think the others are red, and either green or maybe blue.

• Carol Z
    Carol Z

Ggreat look! Love your idea and results! 😊

• Laurie
    Laurie

Such an iconic pattern- perfect pop of color for my Minnesota kitchen! I’m hitting a thrift store today!