Throw Back Thursday DIY Inground Pool dug by hand/shovel 1970's

+12
In Ground Swimming Pool dug by hand/shovel in Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1970's. Most amazing experience of my life. Vintage photos! Pool Design! DIY!

e throw back thursday diy inground pool dug by hand shovel 1970 s, pool designs, repurposing upcycling
My Dad who made our dream come true. The most amazing man I've ever known. He was so proud and so were "we", all 11 of us! = )
He's sitting on the slide. His first dip in the pool.
Growing up, my father one day sprayed a really big orange egg shape on the ground. We all looked at him like what is he doing? My mother told us he “is” going to build an in ground pool. And she said it while shaking her head YES! She was all smiles. I was an Army brat. There were 9 of us children. Living on the east coast our whole life. New Hampshire, Hampton Beach-Florida, Fort Devens, Massachusettes-Fort Bragg, North Carolina-New Jeresy. We grew up with beaches just around the corner. If one wasn’t right down the road, we’d drove to it, every weekend. After my Dad retired we moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, The Land of Enchantment when I was just 10 years old. It was very, very hot and very, very dry. This is why my father built us the in ground pool. After he had spray painted the orange egg shape, he began to dig. All of us children started to dig. We literally dug it by “hand/shovel”. We ALL helped. God it was amazing. The deeper we got the more excited we got the faster we shoveled. Can you imagine an in ground pool dug by hand? And it wasn’t this 7 ft. deep pool, it was 12 ft. deep. It was an egg shape. It had a wall just 3 inches under the water for our younger brothers and sisters, it was 3 ½  deep on the other side of the wall. We didn’t need a heater, not in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The wall divider in the pool, we used it to dive off of, jump off of and leap frog over it.  So Thank You Momma and Daddy (RIP) for bestowing your wonderful talents upon me! I love you and miss, miss, you both!!!!!!!!!!! Everything I create, in my heart, your creating it with me!
The yard wasn't completely done. The grass hadn't come in yet and there were roses on each post of the cement grotto. Can you see the "wall"? It curves about 2 feet below. My oldest sister was standing on the curve. When my sister sent these photos by email to me I began crying. It was truly the best time of my life. We were having diving races off the "WALL". So many memories!!!!! My sister is standing on the edge of the WALL on the deep side below. The shallow end is either 2 1/2 ft. deep or 3 ft. deep and the deep end is 12 ft. deep. So much room. We played mermaids for hours and hours and had relay races diving off the WALL.
We we're playing Sly and the Family Stone's-Hot Fun in the Summertime, all summer longggggg. My oldest sister was standing on the edge of the WALL below. 
Can you see the "WALL"?
They need to sell fiberglass pools like this. I can't express how much fun the WALL was.
That's me in the pink bathing suit at age 13. (I was putting my mask on.) I'm swimmin, I'm swimmin!!!!!!!!!!! Loling! My husband and I are going to replicate my Dad's pool. Wish us luck! I'll keep you posted. (I need to patent my father's pool!) Thank You ALL for reading my post and sharing my memmmbreeeees with me! = )
  • Teddy Teddy on Feb 24, 2017
    Obviously that wasn't a preformed fiberglass inset because of the wall part. So dying to know how it was built.

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 24, 2017
    Rebar, concrete and plaster. It was very exciting to watch the whole thing come together. We did have a slide but no diving board because of the WALL! Which was fine, the WALL did much more than a diving board ever would do.

• Renz Renz on Feb 25, 2017
    awesome story! and pics. ty for sharing. looking forward to hearing more...

• Chey Chey on Feb 25, 2017
    Beautiful! All of it! Thank you for sharing. Made me a little tear-y eyed as it got me thinking of my Dad and the fun we all shared as a family because of his love for us. :)

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 25, 2017
    Thank you Renz. I am pretty proud of my family!

Thank you Chey. I'm so proud of my family. I see your from Santa Fe, New Mexico. I was born in Massachusetts. When I was 10 yrs. old we moved to Albuqueque, New Mexico. Lived there for over 20 years. I miss the Land of Enchantment and the luminairias, & balloon fiesta. The luminairias are thee most beautifulliest thing to see. Every house connected. So amazing! But I have to say..........I'm LOVIN my snow here in Erie, Pennsylvania! = )

• Haysha S. Haysha S. on Feb 26, 2017
    That's an amazing story!! Your parents sound like special people

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 26, 2017
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful story! What a wonderful gift! Good luck with your own pool, keep us posted! I'm excited to see how it comes out!!

• Max11661303 Max11661303 on Feb 26, 2017
    We did the same thing in 1974 and put in a Doughboy below ground. Enjoyed it for years!!! I can certainly appreciate the work this was!!!

• Great story! What a wonderful family and your parents were very special. Thanks for sharing with us!

• Tex Tex on Feb 28, 2017
    What a nice story! Thank you for sharing!

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Feb 28, 2017
    Thank you and My pleasure! Thank you for taking the time to read it. My parents were very special! My Momma Daddy!! Loling! I miss them beyond words!

My pleasure! =)

• Sonya Sonya on Mar 01, 2017
    I really enjoyed reading your story, thank you for sharing it with us all.
    Your parents obviously loved all of their children a great deal. By building the pool the way that you all did, it did more than create fun memories, it also taught a few things. For example, to work hard~ to spend time with family ~ and to do for yourself.
    Enjoy the memories and always live life to the fullest! God Bless!!

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner Melody Drinkwater Wagner on Mar 01, 2017
    Thank you Sonya! So much! God Bless you also!