Is there a product that dissolves toilet paper??

+35
Just as soon as I can afford it I am going to have my sewer line replaced (very old), but in the meantime, is there any product out there (besides bleach) that can dissolve TP? I am afraid bleach will further hurt the old metal pipes....Thanks!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 24, 2017
    Try putting rid x in your toilets allowing to sit overnight then flush.
  • DrP DrP on Feb 24, 2017
    Buy RV toilet paper. It is very plumbing friendly.
    you can also switch to Scotts toilet tissue which is a lot cheaper than rv paper.
  • Amy Beatovic Amy Beatovic on Feb 25, 2017
    Use an enzyme type of pipe cleaner. It may take a number of uses to clean out the pipes. In the future (after you replace the pipe) use it weekly to maintain the pipes. It is safe for all types of plumbing.
  • Linda S. Linda S. on Feb 25, 2017
    Try Ridex weekly. Worked great on my cesspool!
  • Peggy Peggy on Feb 25, 2017
    I use Rid X once a month.never a problem.
  • Marilyn Mead Marilyn Mead on Feb 26, 2017
    I put Dawn in our toilet ( a few drops) and it dissolves the paper and now I use toilet paper that states "great for septic sytems" even though we don't have a septic sytem. Works great.
  • Kristin Kristin on Feb 26, 2017
    1 ply Scotts is the same as RV paper and cheaper. Dissolves very well.
  • Ginger Ginger on Feb 28, 2017
    Try using the toilet tank chemical for RVs. You can find it at Walmart in the RV section.

• Pam Funk Braciszewski Pam Funk Braciszewski on Mar 01, 2017
    a plumber that came and snaked our drain almost ten years ago told us scott tissue and a quart of bleach once a week down your drain. has worked for us ever since
    • Sassi Sassi on Feb 26, 2020

Gosh I have cast iron pipes very old home I’m a have find out can I use bleach I would not think so

• Tressie Riner Ellis Tressie Riner Ellis on Mar 01, 2017
    We put two packs of active yeast down our toilet every month. So Far so good
  • Shirley Shirley on Mar 01, 2017
    Plumber told us to use "Angel Soft" TP. Have not had an issue since using this paper.

• Wayne Walker Wayne Walker on Mar 03, 2017
    I would be very concerned about adding bleach, more than absolutely needed, or anything that is not made for a septic system. You could kill the active bacteria in your tank.
    • Cat Cat on Mar 06, 2017
      agreed Wayne. thanks for mentioning. i cringed when i read that comment! plus, don't forget to get your tank pumped on a regular basis!
  • Ljgordon Ljgordon on Mar 04, 2017
    We use toilet paper that almost dissolves when it is put in water. To test if it will do so, get a medium size bowl and fill 1/2 way with water. Take one sheet and lie it flat in the water for 2 seconds. Then swish the water back and forth without touching the paper. If it nearly dissolves, it will be OK for the septic tank. We buy ours at Sam's or Wal-Mart.
  • Ljgordon Ljgordon on Mar 04, 2017
    OOPS! We buy Scotts 2000 Sheet Septic Safe. Enjoy
  • Virginia Virginia on Mar 10, 2017
    We had to have our septic tank pumped out a couple years ago. The man that did it said that poring a small box of baking soda worked the same for the septic system as the other "add ins". Good luck

• Bonnie Bonnie on Mar 10, 2017
    My son is a plumber with his own business. Years ago he always said to use Scott TP. I have never had any problems since using Scott. Also, be carefull what you put down the toilet, especially sanitary products.
    • Sassi Sassi on Feb 26, 2020

Does baking soda work I have cast iron pipes if what would he recommend ?

• Yom20985858 Yom20985858 on Mar 10, 2017
    THERE ARE SEVERAL SEPTIC TANK AND DISSOLVING T.P. BRANDS OUT NOW. READ THE FINE PRINT.
  • Claude Claude on Mar 13, 2017
    The likelihood is that it's not the toilet paper but sanitary products being flushed. My sister had to clean out the line to the sewer at the road because tampons from tenants kept blocking it. Use the trash.
  • Beautician Brigitte Beautician Brigitte on Jan 05, 2019

Fiamma soft TP!

• J Brown J Brown on Feb 17, 2020

REMEMBER Just because it CAN flush does not mean it should........

All these new products make me wonder how my "bumm" made it to the ripe old age it is.

• Pat Pat on Feb 17, 2020

Amy said she did not have a septic tank. We were renting a "snake" to clean out our lines from the washer and sink to the sewer lines. The man at the rental place said to dump bleach down the drain about once a month. We have not had to rent a "snake" since. Was a good tip for us. Our house was built in 1960 so has older pipes also.

• Glenn Glenn on May 02, 2020

Having same issue. All of the products are specifically for hair, grease, poop, buildup. None of the store product are for paper. Even said it on labels. Not Drano, Zep, Liquid Plumber, none. I even bought the Blue Monster Crystals and still no luck. I have use plumbers snake and a an electricians cable puller (stiffer). I get to the clog at 15 ft but it’s not budging. I tired all the store brands sitting overnight with boiling water behind it. Paper clogs or root clogs just won’t dissolve. I am using Zep Root kill next to see if it helps but confident it’s not roots. But maybe it will dissolve paper..

• See 2 previous
    • Glenn Glenn on Jun 06, 2021

I finally did. After using Ridex and waiting 2 weeks it suddenly broke free. Noting I did use other products prior as listed that could have aided. I was actually taking a shower (it backs up into shower - water only - then slowly drains back down in 1 hour) I heard a thud and all water drained fast so it broke loose.

My theory is my snake could not reach it due to to many connection angles in pipe. At this location the toilet, shower, sink, come together and I think right angles limited my access. I think it was 15 years of hair, paper, toothpaste, etc.. I now Ridex once a month in my shower and toilet.

• Mogie Mogie on Jul 07, 2020

We switched to a hand held bidet last year. It is wonderful. I have IBS and this has been a god send. Only use 3 pieces of tp to dry off after a wonderful shower of sorts.

• Patty Patty on Jul 07, 2020

Ridex. Regularly.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jun 16, 2021

Can you switch to single ply? It will degrade much faster.

• Libbie B Libbie B on Jun 18, 2021

They make TP that is Septic safe, and Ridex regularly should help!