Jann Olson
Jann Olson
  • Alpine, UT

Trim a Vine. . .Build a Nest

Spring clean up is just around the corner for many of us. Instead of tossing those vine clippings into the garbage, why not build a nest? It's a fun and easy project with minimal expense.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

A nest created from the trimmings of my trumpet vine made a fun centerpiece for my spring table.  I also covered some large wooden eggs with moss using Modge Podge.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

I started by forming the vines into a circle.  Whenever you add a new vine, tie it off with jute.  My nest is large because I let my vines sit a week or two before getting around to making the nest.  If I tried to bend them too much they would snap.  If you make the nest shortly after trimming you could make it any size.  After the nest was formed I cut a circle out of chicken wire for the bottom and tied it on with jute as well.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

Now the fun begins!  Start tucking fibers here and there into the nest.  I had these on hand.   This is where it could get expensive if you had to buy them.  Thrift shops and yard sales are a great place to pick them up!  I also added a few feathers.  This large one was picked up on the sidewalk while going for a walk one day.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

Continue adding fibers.  I also tucked in some millinery flowers.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

Even bits of lace!  Think of a bird and how they gather whatever nature and humans have to offer.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

Little pieces of moss will add a different texture as well.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

While I was at it I dressed up some store bought nests that I had on hand  to place on top of each place setting.

trim a vine build a nest, gardening

Each one has it's own personality.  The possibilities are endless!

• Trumpet vine trimmings  (my garden)
  • Chicken wire  (IFA)
  • Fibers, feathers, and lace  (had on hand)
Jann Olson